I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A question on cork
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 11:07PM

While we're on this subject; Aren't the Flex Coat arbors made of a polyurithane foam? I know, or at least I think it may be a proprietary process. But why couldn't you make your own by using something like a cut up 2 litre soda bottleand filling it with the type of foam you get to seal cracks in block walls and such. The only problem I could see is what type of release agent to use once the foam has set up. Is this a feasable idea or just wishful thinking?

Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.33.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 26, 2005 09:19AM

Try a search of this board
There was some type of two part foam that should have worked for this. I have not tried it.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 26, 2005 09:23AM

Is it really worth the hassle to save $2 on an arbor?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 26, 2005 09:26AM

James - search teh board for Burl cork, I know a while back there were a few posts which people listed teh shops which carried quality Burl cork. It's been a while, but I know Angler's Workshop had good Burl, and the other place was the Distributor down in Louisiana which I cannot remember their name. I'm sure others have quality Burl as well.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2005 10:06AM

I've made my own urethane arbors right on the rod when I couldn't get the sizes I need. Frankly, it's a pain. You have to use something to function as a mold (I used a paper towel tube) and then stripped it off afterwards and sanded to shape. I've made grips this way. I doubt I'll be making any more. They were just too much work. With more time and some experimentation, the process could surely be refined but I think if you're wanting the bushing just to sleeve grips with you'd be much better off just adapting something that is already out there and commercially available.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2005 11:36AM

Hey James
REC (left) sells a natural burl cork that it very dense, very pit free, made with uniform little "chunks" of cork. They also have rubberized cork which is dark brown and tougher but heavier. Both great and very reliable. No chipping or flaking ever.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 26, 2005 01:34PM

Mudhole has excellant Burl, Haven't had a bad one yet

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2005 06:00PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Justin Sharpe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 11:01PM

First post....This is the best and most respectful forum I've ever read, regardless of topic. Kudos to the participants and moderator.

I'm building my second fly rod, (the last was about 10 yrs ago) and I've been thinking about putting a burl grip on the new one. Having read a few threads on the subject, this one in particular, I have a few questions about the arbor idea.

First, are the FC arbors going to be durable enough for fly rod applications? With my casting style it takes several false casts to achieve any distance. I figure I cast about million times more per day than my comrades using spinning gear. Right or wrong, the description of semi-pourus leads me to think the arbors will be less durable or may be apt to breaking down.

Second, If I'm going to put an arbor in the grip should I only put one? My concern with placing two in the grip would be they might work on each other during flexing of the rod (not that there is a great deal of flexing going on in the grip portion of the rod). This would mean I would only bore-out the grip to a length of 4.75" as that is the longest FC arbor and turn the arbor as necessary to fit the grip.

To run my idea by experts.......
I was planning on boring the burl to achieve a .4-.5" ID to a depth of 4.75, well I need to make room for the recessed hood as well. Then I was going to use 2-3 Pac Bay graphite arbors for the reel seat that is 3.8" in length. By the time I get done doing this will I have lightened the butt of the rod at all?

Thanks for any input,
Justin

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster