I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestion for musky bucktail rod
Posted by: Don Eurillo (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:00PM

I have a request to build a rod capable of throwing large musky bucktail spinners all day with as little wear and tear on the caster as possible. (I plan to include a bottle of aspirin and an arm sling with the finished rod.) Any suggestions as to a blank and/or design ? Is spiral guide wrap a viable or recommended option for this application ?

Thanks in advance for sharing, and tight lines to all,

Don Eurillo
deurillo2@stny.rr.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestion for musky bucktail rod
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:30PM

Can't think of a better way to help you fight a Musky than by employing the Bumper Wrap configuration. I'm convinced it makes any conventional rod more stable. Reports posted on the Forum indicate no loss in casting performance compared to the standard guide on top set-up.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: July 25, 2005 07:56AM

It's easy to bucktail all day. Throwing 5 ounce jerkbaits all day is tough!

St. Croix's 3M76MHF is probably one of the best bucktail blanks I've gotten to throw. This is a great rod and can handle a wide variety of baits but truely excels with bucktails. My best friend is a Muskie guide and manufactures bucktails so we are always looking for the ideal bucktail rod. So far, the 3M76MHF is it. I spiral ALL my casting rods. And I would say its even MORE effective when you do it on rods for bigger fish.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 09:23AM

St. Croix SCII bucktail blank. You can pretty much pick the length you want or add on a butt extension to get the desired length you want.
My cusomters like the rod length to be such that when they are doing a figure 8 with the bucktail while standing up in the boat, the don't have to bend over at the waist each time. You might want to consider this when picking a length. Really saves on the sore back at the end of the day.

A big YES on the spiral wrap. Every, and I mean every person that I have built a spiral wrap musky rod for, .loves the spiral wrap. The hard part of the spiral wrap is convincing the angler that they will like it before the rod is built. Once they fish it, they will love it.

Have fun,

Buzz

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 06:52PM

A list Rich Garbowski sent me also lists the Rainshadow IMU 876, St Croix 2M72MHF, 76 MHF, and 80 MHF for bucktails.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster