I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bumper guides and C.T. Stevens
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 10:36PM

I received an E-mail message from a C.T. Stevens about the Bumper Simple Spiral system but my replies keep bouncing back. I thought I should answer it here as maybe it will help others as well. Sorry if this is long winded but I can't think of any better way to explain things. I still recommend getting the magazine and reading the article for yourself. You'll more about it that way than you will on any message board.

In answer to the specifics, no the bumper guide is not technically a transition guide. It doesn't transition anything. If you were to leave it off or remove it the line would continue to follow the same path. It doesn't play any part in taking or directing the line to the bottom of the rod. This is the big difference between the Bumper system and other spiral systems that you think of as being single guide transition systems. In those systems the transition guide helps in taking the line to the bottom of the rod. In the Bumper system it does not. I think this may be one reason why the Bumper system rods cast so well.

It is important not to go any larger than a size 10 and a size 8 is preferred. Make sure it is a very low frame casting style. This will work on any size rod and is important to keep the line close to the blank. Remember if you do this correctly the line will never contact the guide anywhere other than the very bottom of the ring next to the blank. For clearing larger connections or swivels Tom mentioned earlier about a larger ring but bending the frame and legs so the ring was right down on the blank. This is IMPORTANT. Also in the article you may have read about shifting the position from 90 degrees to the 100 to 110 degree position. If you have specific questions on why just reread the article or E-mail me again and I'll try to explain it. You didn't specify what type rod you were working on so I can't answer that fully here.

I know bad info will be spread on the system by those who confuse it with other systems or who haven't read my instructions in the previous issue of Rodmaker. I know not everyone will try this system if they already have one they're happy with. No offense to the Forhan Revolver, Roberts, O'Quinn or any other system but if you have extra shop time at some point, try the Bumper system and compare it to your current favorite in terms of ease of set up and how well it works. I think more and more will convert to it as they try it for themselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bumper guides and C.T. Stevens
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 11:20AM

I have set up several mag bass flippin sticks using the bumper concepts. I have used the Alconite double foot guides for the first three and single foot the rest of the way out. The 12 ring top and 10 ring bottom sets the line up nicely with a double foot 7 used at 90 degrees as the bumper. The customers love this set up due to its simplicity and the way they will lay on the deck of the boat when not in use. I am hoping this set up will reduce the number of breakages due to someone carelessly stepping on a rod that is held up in the air by the orientation of the guide frames. The guys I have built for hold the rod in the right hand and strip line with the left so the bumper went opposite the reel crank and it is working really well when flippin.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 02:58PM

William,

Wouln't a single fly guide like an alconite make a good Bumper guide since there really wouldn't be much stress on it? It would be very close to the blank and light weight.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2005 02:58PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2005 04:12PM

As long as it's low and small it would work fine. The only reason I can see staying with a double footed guide in that area, would be because of the bumps, snags, catches, etc., that guides near the butt have to withstand. Plus, because it's down near the butt, a little extra weight is not of great importance in that area. But sure - the line would never know if it's going through a ring supported by one or two legs.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 04:30PM

I used a single foot fly guide on my first bumper wrap project...worked great.

Carrington

Date: July 25, 2005 06:17PM

I like the sturdiness of the double foot in that area. The Alconites are so light that the weight difference is a non issue to me. The guides are also super low. These are the first rods that I have built with Alconites and the weight difference as compared to some of the TiCh frames with colorful rings is really significant.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.33.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 26, 2005 12:02PM

You can also get the frames polished. No plating at all

Date: July 26, 2005 01:29PM

The tournament bass fishermen that I am building for are totally into "stealth" with absolutely no flash what so ever. The Alconites really fit the bill with the all black finish. I wrap with A black nylon with no trim band on a matte black or sanded natural graphite blank. These things really look good with the total starkness.

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster