I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread arbors when graphite arbors won't work?
Posted by: Kenneth L. Saums (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 10:38AM

I'm building a hvy surf rod with fuji dlx size 24 reel seat. I purchased a set of flex coat arbors, but gap between the reel seat and the blank is too small to use the arbors effectively (too small of gap to ream the arbors to). So I feel like I have three options: tape arbors, thread arbors and dry wall tape arbors.
My original thought was thread arbors since I have a lot of D size thread I will probably never use. What is the proper technique with thread arbors, it looks like I will need atleast four layers of D size thread at the small OD end of the reel seat? Do I just layer the thread and use rod bond or use thread wrap finish ( and do I need to finish the thread inbetween every two thread wraps of so)?

Also, I've read a lot about the use of adhevsive backed dry wall tape, where can I purchase this and is it expensive?

Thanks, Ken Saums

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread arbors when graphite arbors won't work?
Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 10:58AM

The dry wall tape is available at Lowes or Home Depot or probably any good hardware store. $6 or $7 dollars buys enough to do a few hundred rods.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:26AM

Are you SURE you can't ream that arbor to fit? 4 wraps of D thread? I've reamed arbors a bit thinner than that...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 12:23PM

Glue a Flex Coat arbor into the seat first and then ream it. You should be able to ream a Flex Coat arbor extremely thin once it is glued in place. The other alternatives (tape, thread) will work but, IMO, the Flex Coat arbor is better and much faster.

Mike

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 24, 2005 02:15PM

Ken Saums wrote: "Do I just layer the thread and use rod bond;
Or should I use thread wrap finish (and do I need to finish the thread in between every two thread wraps or so)?"

Ken - Whenever thread is used as an arbor / spacer under a reel seat, the thread does NOT need to be treated with any color preserver or thread finish. Your adhesive for mounting the reel seat will soak onto & into the thread and fuse the rod blank, and the thread and the reel seat together. The thread could be wound on in any way that leaves a good amount of the rod blank exposed, so that a good amount of the adhesive can hold directly to the (scuffed) rod blank. You could use the thread to make several rings or arbors every inch or so. Or wind it on like a screw, with a pitch of ~ 5 millimeters. As long as you scuff the rod blank and the inside of the reel seat, and use the arbors to center the reel seat and to help keep the epoxy adhesive in place while mounting the reel seat, then things should go as planned.

-Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL +++

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 02:34PM

Ken,
When I have used thread wraps as arbors I wrap in an open spiral pattern along the entire length to provide even support of the seat. This gives the adhesive (Rod Bond for me) a thin layer with a lot of contact between the saturated thread and the seat. If the gap is thin enough I fill the entire length with rod bond. I have yet to try the flex coat arbors but when I get my lathe up and running precise drilling will be very easy and I plan to go that route. I have also used fiberglas tape (without adhesive backing) to great success. The job is a little messy (I tie the mesh to the blank and slather it with Rod Bond as I roll it on and then tie it in place. This works well for filling all size gaps but the Flexcoat arbors seem much easier to use with even more accurate results. Run a search on the paddle bits that can be used todrill the flex coat arbors. Tom K. recently mentioned using cheap bits fitted with center guides using the Flex Coat kit to attach the center guides.. Or you can buy the ready made Flex Coat bits made for the task. It seems like this is a real improvement for the job. I don't recall the largest size of Flex Coat arbors available but that is easy to find.
Best regards,
Dave

Posted by: Kenneth L. Saums (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 08:11PM

Thanks for all the replies. I took Mike Barkely's advice and glued the flex coat arbor inside the reel seat; I will ream it out carefully tomorrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster