I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Very small tip top
Posted by: Tom Markham (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2005 10:03PM

I have someone who asked me to replace the tip on their fishing rod for them since the ring fell out. No problem, right? This is a friend of mine and I told him how to remove the tip and mail it to me. When I got the tip in the mail, I sized it and was smaller than the smallest size pegged on my tip sizer... 3.5... so my estimate is that it is 3/64". Also, the ring size is really small.. like a 4mm or 3mm.

Where do I get a tip this small?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Very small tip top
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 23, 2005 10:13PM

I have had this problem in the past and have gotten by using a small single foot guide as a tip top as recommended by many on this board.

Derek

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2005 10:16PM

Problem is that his customer is gong to try and do this himself, right?? So wrapping a guide on may be out of his ability.

I know there are some match grade tops that come that small but can't remember their name or model number. Check all the catalogs from PacBay, Batson and Amtak and maybe you can find something. He may have to be satisfied with a different ring or frame color.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2005 11:45PM

Another brand is the Sevier/Tigereye guides, Dan Craft and Neal's has them, their gold frames I think are the closest to the old frames from before. I think Pac Bay and Sevier have the smallest tube sizes, but they stop at 3.5 with a 5 ring. You could wrap the tip with thread than use a larger tube guide over it.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:56AM

Sounds like what you'd use for ice fishing rods. Check with MudHole and with Jann's Netcraft. They both have ice fishing building stuff.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 04:03PM

If you use a water proof 5 minute expoxy it will be thick enough to fill the gap so that you could use 3.5 tip

Posted by: Tom Markham (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 10:47PM

Well, thanks for all the tips and ideas!

I've checked out Mudhole and a few other sites. Didn't see anything close to a suitable replacement as yet.

I was hoping to see a couple suppliers chime in with something. Anybody carry a tip top with a tube size of 3/64" and a ring size of 2 or 3mm?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster