I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The deepest cut of all
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 23, 2005 09:01PM

I was constantly throwing away dull scissors,razor bladesand anything else that would not cut. I stumbled on something that looks promising. I am now using scalpal blades and their handles. They are cheap ,disposable and really work. The blades come on various shapes and sizes. To get a box or two type in scalpal blades and search around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The deepest cut of all
Posted by: zach stowe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2005 10:21PM

I have been using scapal blades for a long time (also a physician). Depending on your individual needs you may want to look the Fisher Scientific web site --- the blades come in more shapes and sizes than you can imagine, they are typically sold in boxes of 50-100.

Please be careful they will cut you before you know it. Also the sharpness does not last very long, remember they are designed as one time use.

zach

Date: July 23, 2005 11:25PM

Cheaper than x acto or single edged blades and hold up just as well I believe.

Date: July 23, 2005 11:27PM

Have you tried B and D brand?

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2005 11:35PM

I guess there is no need to say what DOC ski has been using since I started building rods. I called it practice for minor surgery and of course had to have LOTS of supplies to practice with at home. I like #11s the best. So nice to have a wealthy UNCLE

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 12:43AM

My Tax dollars at work??? LOL

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 12:44AM

I found a source for superior scalpel blades named Hu-Friedy from a company on @#$%& named Chosmic. The blades are carbon steel and hold an edge quite well. I think I paid around $11.00 for a box of 100 size11's. I also picked up a long ( 8" ) handle which is more comfortable to me than the regular 5" model. Chosmic is great to deal with. I highly recommend them.
Dave

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 07:05AM

I make my own scapel with a small handle X -acto and 400 grit sandpaper. As the blade gets dull, a few swipes on the sandpaper and I'm back in business. One blade will last many moons.

It'll "cut deep"......seriously deep!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 10:51AM

For close, flush cuts on thread tag ends, etc. you can't beat a good pair of Cuticle Clippers for about $20 (The good ones come with lifetime free sharpening) They will cut flush to the wrap everytime without cutting the wrap. I first saw them used by Bill Stevens (the Ragin' Cajun) in Charlotte.

Mike

Posted by: miike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 03:49PM

Bill,

I have been using Swan Morton surgical blades for years. You buy handles in variuous sizes for light thread work I use size 2 and size 4 for heaver jobs. The blade that works best for me has a curve on the end and is no 10 for the smaller handle. The blades come in packs of 5 and cost about a dollar. I use a new blade for every rod I wrap although it may be possible to get two or thee rods per blade. I use the once used blades then fo rother less demanding tasks. These are the same blades and scalpel handles used by surgeons and can be very dangerous because they can cut initially causing no pain. I always make sure that I am wearing shoes when using them having once dropped one and it narrowly missed my big toe. I also insist that no one in my family can come into my shop whilst working until they are called in. Too easy to have a serious accident.

Regards

Mike O.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster