I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sounds crazy but you have to give it a try
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.emrsn.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 03:25PM

Recently, returning from business trip, I bought my 11 year old kid a pair of cheap binoculars as a present, they came in a presentation box and in a cute pouch, total paid $7. It never occurred to me that I was buying myself a tool for rod building....

Yesterday, after applying the concept guide location process and doing some static distribution on two 7' spinning rods, I placed one of the rods on the rollers of my PacBay 8' wrapping machine and chucked it. Got the hot melt adhesive and glued the tip top, then I proceeded to wrap all the guides behind the tip sequentially towards the butt . I used size 8 from the intersection point towards the tip. When I looked at the guide alignment from behind the chuck, I could barely see if the tip was aligned with respect to the middle of the real seat, it was blurry, the guides are too small, the are too far, thus, I could not determine with precision (again looking from behind the chuck) if the guide after the tip was properly aligned with respect to the tip, and the guide behind that one an so on...

I was complaining to myself about my poor vision for this application, when I devised the pair of binoculars I had brought from St. Louis.

Standing a couple of steps behind the chuck, I looked down at the rod with binoculars, then everything came into perspective and definition, the tip, the guide rings, the blank. By looking through the binoculars I could easily align the guides with respect to the tip and each other.

Using these low power binoculars, I was able to align the guides much easier, faster and precisely compared with the traditional methods I used before.

The perspective gained with this 'instrument' is similar to the magnifying effect you experience with the Optivisors and other magnifying apparatus, except that with this is on the entire longitudinal plane of the rod.

The binoculars are low power 4 x 30

BTW, I had my eyes checked recently

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sounds crazy but you have to give it a try
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2005 04:53PM

Might be a heck of an idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 05:29PM

Thanks, Ricardo! That will definitely benefit these 68 y.o. eyes. Great idea.

Stan

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 05:38PM

I also want to thank Ricardo,

One can learn something new every day !

Smooth Wraps!!

P.S. and my wife wonders why I have to monitor this board like
a child waiting for Santa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2005 05:41PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 07:12PM

Every day, something new! Great idea, have to give it a try. Thanks!

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 08:08PM

If this works out, then you have just solved something that has troubled a ton of rod builders for decades!

Posted by: Robert Greene (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 10:44PM

I gave this a try just now. The binocs stack the guides up against each other in the focal window and it really does make alignment easier. Thanks!

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 11:59PM

wish you had posted this about two weeks ago might not of had to strip the guides off and realine
them (lol) every thing looked straight until i got down close to the reelseat. boy was it off

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: July 23, 2005 03:20AM

I sometimes have to bring out a low powered rifle scope to do the same thing, just rest the scope mounts on the grip and sight guides in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster