I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept spinning guide
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: July 22, 2005 08:25AM

Hi Tom K. I read your article and have a few questions.

Do you use the same size guides from the intersect point to the tip top. I read they're placed every 4 inches. How do you determine their size for ordering?

Being that the stripping guide is 17 to 23 inches from the handle, how do you measure the guides to the intersection? How do you know what size stripping guide to buy? Is it measured in inches from the rod blank to the table edge? Do you also place those 4 inches apart to the intersect point?

I guess I'm asking how these findings correlate to ordering from a catalog. I'm building a 6', 6" med./light bass rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept spinning guide
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:07AM

No offense, but you need to read the article again. All the answers you ask for are in there, and you've made some bad assumptions in other parts. The guides from the intersect point to the tip may be 4 inches apart, they may also be 5 inches apart. They may even be progressively spaced.

That info, along with the size of the butt guide, how to measure the rest of the guides, etc. are all right there in the article.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:16AM

Wow!

What does OD in the article mean? Is it the outer diameter of the spool?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:23AM

Outside Diameter.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:45AM

Do you use the same size guides from the intersect point to the tip top. I read they're placed every 4 inches. How do you determine their size for ordering?

1. 5.  Now set the guides between the intersect guide and tip top.  Use the same size and type guide you used for the intersect guide.  Measure the distance between the tip top and the intersect guide.  Divide into equal segments and set the guides so that they are no closer than 4 inches to each other, yet no further apart than 5 inches from each other.  *(On heavier saltwater rods, you may set the distances between guides at more than 5 inches - use your judgment with an eye on good stress distribution for the particular rod at hand.) It is permissible to progressively space each ensuing guide a bit farther apart. However, equal distance spacing is quicker and easier and works very well.

and-

2.  Note the point where the rod blank intersects with the table edge.  Set your smallest and lowest guide against the blank in the location where it¹s outer edge just touches the table edge. (Generally, lines from 2lb to 8lb will easily pass through a #6 ring.  10lb to 15lb lines may require a #7 or #8 ring size.)

Being that the stripping guide is 17 to 23 inches from the handle, how do you measure the guides to the intersection

2. 3.  Now set the guides between the reel and the intersect guide by selecting guide sizes and locations that put the guides' outer edges so that they just reach the table edge.  Ring size should generally be at least 1/2 the diameter of the reel spool OD and the required height is usually attained by utilizing fairly high frame guide styles.  Butt or stripping guides should generally fall between 17 to 23 inches from the spool face on most freshwater type rods and 21 to 30 inches on larger saltwater rods.  Select a guide size and style that puts you into these categories.

As far as the size of the butt guide I think it is recommended to try to get a guide that is about 1/2 the diameter of the spool. You will have trouble setting this up by ordering your guides first and to fit. You have to order a whole selection of them and then fit different ones in until you get the ones that work the way they're supposed to. They're cheap so having a few extra on hand isn't a big deal. You'll end up using them to set up the next rod anyway.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 11:56AM

I use size 6 guides on the tip area and they pass 10 pound test with no problem. If you used size 7 I don't think it would matter much unless the rod is an UL.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 22, 2005 12:22PM

Ken - if you use braided line with a long Mono leader, you might find you have trouble passing the knot (depends on the knot you use I guess too). I use 10# Power Pro with 20# Mono leader with a Modified Albright, and find the knot hangs in teh tip of a size 6 ring (in teh frame a lot), and gets caught sometimes on size 6 guides, but with size 7's there is no problem. I assume if one is using a uni-Uni, the knot will be bulkier & will be more of a problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster