I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

smokey shine in coating
Posted by: Joachim Märzdorf (---.tronn.de)
Date: July 22, 2005 05:28AM

Hello from germany,

I already wrapped my casting rod the fourth time, OK, was my fault.

Now , everything looks great. Black thread with gold trims.

So, I coated the wraps wiht Flexcoat and found some bubble in the coating.
No problem I thought. Using a small candle to heat up the coating. All bubble
bursting. Looks great.This is now 4 days over.

Now, I looked a bit closer to my work an saw inside the coating a kind of
smoky shine. I tried to polish it away, no chance. Its inside the coating.

Do I overheat the FC ???

Best wishes

Joachim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2005 09:02AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smokey shine in coating
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 06:57AM

The candle does not burn with a clean flame.It produces soot(black carbon type substance).A better option would be either an alcohol lamp(suppliers at left),propane torch or using a straw and your breath to blow the finish and release the bubbles.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Joachim Märzdorf (---.tronn.de)
Date: July 22, 2005 08:48AM

Hi Fred,

No NO, the smoky shine is not black. It looks like white/grey cigarette smoke and waves through the
coating. Its not from the thread, for sure.

greetz joachim

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:05AM

That sounds like finish that was not thoroughly mixed. As you mix the epoxy, you'll notice that it quickly turns somewhat cloudy and as you continue to mix, it tends to clear. But if you don't mix long enough, or completely mix all that is in the cup, some of the finish will retain the streaky cloudy look.

Fred's advice is still worth remembering if you do heat your finish. I would add that you should never allow the flame to touch the finish. Just hold it under the wrap for a brief second or two and keep it moving, but always a few inches under the finish. You're only trying to warm it, not cook it.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 11:39AM

Could be from the oils in your hands on the threads? I am super oily I guess, I had something similar happen and I never even got a flame close to the wrap and mixed the epoxy very well....thanks to Tom's book I still remember the rule :) I assume the problem was my hands and always keep them washed to the point of dryness and it hasn't happened since.

Of course if you used CP this would not be the case.

Posted by: Steven Purcell (---.jccbi.gov)
Date: July 22, 2005 11:48AM

I had the same thing happen using a lighter. In order to avoid smoke contamination which could look black or like an oil slick or grey, you have to use something that burns clean. Since I switched to an alcohol lamp, no more smokey finish!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 01:05PM

Keep lighters to the SIDE of the finish, never underneath, and you'll have zero problems with soot in the finish.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 04:47PM

At no point did you ever mention that you did or did not use a color preserver before you applied the finish. If by chance, you used the Flexcoat CP over black thread the milky way look will certainly appear. You can not use the Flexcoat CP, due the the white particulate solids in the liquid, on black thread unless you want the Galaxy look! If this did occur take it out in the sun and it will really show up. There is no back up from this unless you splash glitter over the whole thing with another coat.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2005 06:29PM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster