I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To hot to apply finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 11:50PM

The temp in my work shop reached 110 degrees yesterday and today. Too hot for appling finish or anything else. Stayed inside the house and played. My wife has yet to consent to a shop in the house and will never consent to allow me to air condition my garage.

Scott
Poway (San Diego Co.) CA.

I just looked on my work bench and it is still 89 degrees. Still to hot !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2005 12:21AM by Scott Mumford.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To hot to apply finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: July 22, 2005 02:35AM

Scott I have the same problem here in OZ during summer. I apply the finish and it turns to water and then starts setting up before I can fix up the mess. Now I apply the finish inside with the aircon on when the wifes out.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 05:08AM

Scott I would apply my finish around midnight when the temp should be in the 70's to 80;s
Good Wraps Bob Scott you also have a hidden email address

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 07:01AM

I would go to the bar and have a few drinks when its too hot to finish(what else is there to do?).After a few trips and so withdrawls on the old debit card the wife may reconsider the move to a cooler location or even let you air condition the shop.Either way you win,right??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 08:02AM

You could try to thin the finish. The thinner it is, it will tend to release mosture and bubbles faster. This will also slow down the setting time Experiment. That is hot!!??
If the garage is part of the house, maybe you could put a fan in a window ? and try to pull the air from the house in. After it gets cooller, turn it off?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:02AM

Put the epoxy into the fridge for some time, I dunno, maybe an hour. This should cool the epoxy enough to give you more working time. In the Winter, we do the opposite - putting the Resin into teh Microwave to heat it up, placing the mixing cup into a thing of warmer water to heat it up & get it to flow. Just do teh opposite with cold water, I assume it might work.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:22AM

All I know is when I painted cars, in really hot and muggy weather we had to mix paint with the slowest thinner or reducer possible, then even add a retarder to slow it more. This way the mosture had a chance to escape from the paint and not get traped in it.
In those temperatures it may be better to use Classic Coat, I think it is the slowest setting on the market?
That or get an air conditioner? Try what Billy said, maybe it will be enough.

Posted by: Steven Purcell (---.jccbi.gov)
Date: July 22, 2005 11:53AM

Start putting together plans to build an air conditioned shop. Contact some contractors and see about getting some estimates. Make sure that the plan calls for something big, ugly and obtrusive. When she figures out what you are doing, the compromise of air conditioning the garage will make much more sense to her and she will win by talking you out of the shop.

Just ol' Uncle Steve trying to help (who fired the last dream-killer back in '83).

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 04:04PM

I don't think reducers well work , to hot,you can try. I have used Aceton when it is in the 80's. My mix for that was 3 eye droppers of Aceton to one once of Flex Coat . Never used it when it is 100 plus. You have to watch out using a fan because the air flow well cause dust to fly.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster