I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Beginner needs advice on supplies
Posted by: Casey Morgan (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:10PM

Hi, I am starting to re-build a rod from my childhood. Nothing fancy as this is my first attempt at everything. I tore down another rod I had broken for the components (reel seat, guides and tip-top.) I stripped my old blank down (ultra-light solid fiberglass.) I am ready to put it all back together. I have been reading the archives and the library and still have some questions. First, the rod itself needs refinished. I was leaning towards Permagloss for this. I understand that I can also do the threads with the same thing.(I think?) Should I use this or would the epoxy be better for the threads? If I go with the Permagloss to refinish the rod and the epoxy for the wraps, should I stick with products from the same manufacturer? Or am I missing some way that would be easier for re-finishing the rod, considering I am a beginner? By the way, the rod is only 4 1/2' long. Also, should I use the same brand CP as the epoxy or Permagloss? I'm going to place an order for everything from one of the sites on the left tomorrow, and I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I do it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot! Casey Morgan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner needs advice on supplies
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:18PM

Casey,
Re-finnish with permagloss, you can tint it if you like. ( see FAQ and library )
Some builders have used permagloss for guide wraps but I have not. I like epoxy.
You can mix & match products from different companys but it's easier to
order everything you need from the same place.

Good luck and wecome to the craft. Feel free to email for help.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Re: Beginner needs advice on supplies
Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 10:44PM

of course, you can still mix and match products from different companies while ordering everything from one of the vendors at the left. :-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster