I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GL2 Alternative??
Posted by: Keith Reinoehl (---.public.svc.webtv.net)
Date: April 16, 2002 08:42AM

Hi all,
Need a little expert opinion/input please.... I made a 6' spinning rod from a GL2 Mag Bass blank for my personal use & snapped it on a hookset. The blank (MB783GL2), was actually 6'5" that I shortened. I used Fuji gold cermet guides & a tennessee graphite handle. The rod was awesome for fishing soft plastics for bass. I would like to make a replacement rod, BUT, honestly, I'm done dealing w/ Loomis, I just don't think they are worth the price, period.
What would be a good alternative, as far as action, sensitivity, etc for this blank.. maybe something from Lamiglas or St. Croix?
Appreciate any input...
Thanx,
Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GL2 Alternative??
Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: April 16, 2002 09:11AM

I own a couple of 783 GL2's and would say that just about any of the brands available in comparable actions would be as good or better. When comparing GL3's or IMX's you need to be a little more particular, although there are suitable alternatives. I myself am in the process of looking for replacement alternatives for Loomis. I'm having one heck of a time getting straight Loomis blanks and my customers are balking at paying Loomis prices for such crooked blanks.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: April 16, 2002 09:21AM

Try the SCIII from St. Croix. I too am switching from Loomis because of the inability to produce a straight blank. Run into the exact situation as Ray mentioned. I have gotten a couple of SCIIIs in and they are very nice blanks, would actually put them in between the GL2 and GL3. The SCV is phenominal, but you are getting into a little higher price range there.

Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt2.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: April 16, 2002 10:10AM

Hey All,
Why don't you look into Shikari [www.shikariblanks.com] . Talk to Rich at Richards Rod and Reel. He is a supplier and you get a good deal with the currency exchange . Shikari offers a lot to choose and the Magnum Bass blanks come in all their lines it seems.
I would have suggested St. Croix also,but so far every one else has!
then you also have Rainshadow you might consider. When you want to upgrade to IMX and GL3 quality go with Rogue and St. Croix SCIII , SCIV, SCV
Just My .02
Mark

Posted by: Bill Boettcher Sr (---.59.97.164.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 16, 2002 11:25AM

I don't know about anyone else - but I love the St. Croix Fast Action, the price is reasionable also.

Date: April 16, 2002 11:35AM

Don't take me wrong......I still prefer fishing Loomis rods, but until they get the QC figured out, I've got to go a different way with the customers.

Ray Alston

Posted by: Glenn Ging (---.wcnet.net)
Date: April 16, 2002 11:55AM

I think you would actually be stepping up in quality with a St Croix SCIII. You should look at the 3S66MHF, 3C60MFand 3C66MF in the SCIII. It is a very good line for most situations and they are very durable. You could also go with a Shikari IMB662 or IMB663 in their SHIII line which would also be a step up foe about the same money.

It is not difficult to match Loomis' performance anymore. Most every blank manufacturer now has comperable products often at better prices. Finding a comperable blank to a GL2 is especially easy.

Posted by: Gary Niemchick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 16, 2002 12:17PM

This post raises a question I`ve been meaning to ask; how does a
crooked blank affect rod performance? I realize if you are building
for other people the cosmetic issue alone would be a big problem.

Date: April 16, 2002 12:41PM

Gary.

Believe it or not, unless it is a very bad crook that doesn't align with the spine, it really doesn't affect the performance in my opinion. I've wrapped some with some pretty significant waves in them and usually when the guides are on you can't really tell where the crooks are and certainly not tell when fishing it. The problem is when it bends in one spot and shoots off at an angle. Even a slightly bowed blank will be alright if the bow and spine alignment coincide. I learned this working with blems when I first started building. When you incorporate the Concept system (using more, lighter guides) it tends to hide the waves and crooks better than when the guide spacing is more spread out. Usually if I build a rod for a customer and he doesn't care about looking at the blank before its built, he never notices whether the blank is straight. The problem comes in when he picks up the "blank" and eyeballs it. " Heck no, I don't want a rod built out of this blank".....even if it is just a slight bend. I have my own personal Loomis' that I built out of blanks that were not perfectly straight and no one has ever noticed. They fish fine.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: Juan Guzman (216.199.119.---)
Date: April 16, 2002 08:45PM

I have switched to Graphite USA and and have been very pleased. Thier blanks are some of the straighest I have ever seen, good fit & finish, high QC. Thier price is not much cheaper but as stated above the actions are the the same and they are straight & very powerfull. For bass fishing look into thier DHX casting series - excelent!.

Jaun

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 16, 2002 10:57PM

As an alternative to the Loomis GL2, you might try the Rainshadow IM6 Mag Bass IMB783 or IMB784. For the price, it's really hard to beat and you will be surprised by the finish and straightness. Here is a link to the page.

[www.angelfire.com]

If you wanted a St Croix equivalent, go with the SC II's or a step up, try the SC III's. Goodluck.

Posted by: Keith Reinoehl (---.public.svc.webtv.net)
Date: April 17, 2002 04:20AM

Excellent, thank you all for the input!!

I will do some checking on the suggestions that were mentioned.

Nobody mentioned Lamiglas....I have made some smaller trout spinning rods from their graphite blanks, & was pleased. Another option to look into I suppose.

Thanx again!
Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster