I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salvage a finish,how??
Posted by: dick laxton (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 10:40AM

How do you or can you salvage an epoxy spray on finish that has blushed nearly to 100% of the area covered? A very light first coat I thought.

dick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salvage a finish,how??
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 10:51AM

I would take it off and redo it.
You have mosture in the finish.
You could try some heat like a hair drier, but I don't think it will work - depends, how bad.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 11:12AM

I don't think you can recoat and make it look nice. IMHO the blushed appearance is part of the first coat and must be removed.

I had the same thing happen to me when I first used spray rod finish. I sprayed it outside - I did not what the overspray all over my rod bench. It blushed on me something terrible. Removed the blushed finish using a utlity knife to scrap it off. Next time sprayed the rod indoors in an air conditioned space - the final final turned out perfect.

Lou

Date: July 21, 2005 11:28AM

Low humidity and no rain is good. Got to watch the weather

Date: July 21, 2005 01:55PM

I suspected the problem to be moisture as I did it out side . I have removed the finish once again and seeing as how the War Dept. is going shopping this afternoon I'll do a quick retry in the kithchen after I get newspapers covering every thing. I can get things back to normal before she returns. The brave will preside.LOL

dick

Date: July 21, 2005 03:16PM

The retry in the kitchen didn't blush but it took on a dull finish and a matte texture. I'm not happy with the spray on epoxy at all. I wonder if i can put flex coat over it? That was a live and learn situation that cost $22.00 for nothing. Oh well nothing ventured,now I know first hand,don't use that crap again.IMHO anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

dick

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 04:33PM

What spray on finish are you guys talking about?? Paint, urethane???????

Mikr

Date: July 21, 2005 06:26PM

Next time I would go Plastikote or duplicolor auto colors

Date: July 21, 2005 07:34PM

Rod Finish,clear epoxy as sold by Merrick Tackle

dick

Date: July 21, 2005 07:54PM

Have not used that paint, but I would think - hope it is a light rod - it will be thick and heavy. That's why the lacquers are nice, thin, light.
Try a search of this site on " painting blanks " a lot of info.
Also try and let it dry for several days and then try a little permagloss on a small spot that will be covered on the butt say, just in case it eats into it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster