I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Taking a poll on flyrods
Posted by: John Dow (204.60.218.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:43PM

I prefer 3 , then 4 then 2 , people who I build for are still into 2 piece with the exeception of the pack rodder , for the most part . Good question Andy . John

Got Fish ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.bp.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 04:48AM

3 piece rods for 80% of my fishing.
4 Piece for 10 %
2 piece for 10%

Unless I'm flying, 3 piece rods are perfect. They fit nicely in my truck and aren't too long when I'm back packing into my favorite fishing holes (In a case). The 3 piece rods feel every bit as good as the 2 piece, and better than most 4 piece rods of the same/similar length and action.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:35PM

Mostly 2pc. fly rods with the odd 3 or 4 piece rod. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: July 23, 2005 05:51AM

All my new flyrods will most likely be min 4 peace rods. They are just so much more convenient to carry around especially if traveling. Now probably ~50% are 4 piece, ~45% 3 piece and <5% 2 piece. Sure 2 peace rods are a bit lighter but I don't think that the action is the limiting factor in not liking multipiece rods these days. IMHO even some multi piece rods can be better than the equivalent 2 piece rods. IMHO this applies e.g. to the Sage SP 5 piece rods compared to 2 piece models. Just my 0,02€ ;)

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 23, 2005 09:16PM

Andy I love the fact that the rod case for my two piece rods are : strong, light, thin and long. I often use them as a walking stick when I'm packing in or hiking to a more remote spot. I glue a half of a tennis ball on the bottom as a cushion. I have built only a few multi (3-5) piece rods and never once have I felt fully comfortable with the spine allignment I came up with. I know I am only splitting hairs at that point but I just like the 2 piece for a combo of traits. ( Feel, ferrule fit, handsome, spine location, tradition, time and ease to build, rod case as a walking stick ) Also, I have a truck . My boys and other fishing buddies all have trucks, or vans. Carrying the rods has not been a major problem and I can't afford to fly to a fishing spot anyway. Thanks for asking...... Steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2005 10:18PM

Please do not bring any rods with more than one piece if you expect to fish with me! Any thing with more than one piece means someone stepped where they should not have, the red was just to Bad To The Bone or a mistake was made by some idiot who insisted on boating a Jack Crevaille!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Aaron Hansen (---.cdc-ut.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 23, 2005 10:36PM

Peraonally I prefer 2 piece rods but almost everyone that buys rods from me wants either 3 or 4. I think if I drove something that I couldn't lock up a 2 piece in easily I'd go for 3 piece rods. Mostly I don't like having to take the time to assemble more pieces when I drive past a stream where I can see fish rising.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster