I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Taking a poll on flyrods
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:00AM

Hey guys...I am curious. What is your (or your customers) preference in Flyrod design; 2 piece, 3 piece or 4 piece?

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking a poll on flyrods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:13AM

Nearly all that didn't travel, wanted 2-piece models. Those who traveled all wanted 4-piece models (3-piece 9' rods wouldn't fit inside suitcases).

I have nothing against 4-piece rods but generally prefer 2-piece models for my own use just to cut down on the time spent assembling the rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:25AM

I myself like 2 piece, also find them to be popular.
I also tend to go for shorter 7-8 footers only cause of less flies in trees

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:50AM

I am beginning to prefer 4pc rods as I do allot of travelling for work. Besides, new technology has greatly diminished the difference in feel of the multi-piece rods as compared to their 2 pc brethren. I'm not saying that I don't prefer the feel of a 1 or 2 pc, but overall the 4pc rods are becoming my go to rods. Tom, I like to cut down on the assembly time by treating my 4pc rods as 2pc by leaving the top 2 sections and bottom 2 sections assembled.

Also, I find it much easier to wrap and finish the smaller sections as my homemade rod wrapper is awkward to use on longer rods.

Lou

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 10:44AM

It is a mix from my experience. I personally like the 4 or 5 piece rods because they do travel well, but one of the guys I build for will only use 2 piece rods for fly or spinning rods. I tend to travel, and the smaller length blanks seem to store easier for me at home as well. Plus it seems the extra ferrules aren't as big an impact to the action as they once were. All else being equal, I would take the 4 piece blank.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.org)
Date: July 21, 2005 10:48AM

Three piece rods actually cast the best for me, all told, as the ferrule placement doesn't interfere with the natural curve of the blank as much.

That said, I'll take a 4 piece most times as I like being able to either pack it down small or leave it partially assembled (2 pieces per) when I throw it in the car, like Lou said.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Gil Mc Millan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 10:51AM

Andy
Four piece by far.
If a customer asks for a two or three piece rod, I point out the traveling advantages of a four piece rod & try to talk them into a four piece rod.
I don't stock any two piece blanks.
Hope this helps.
Gil

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 11:14AM

Four piece. I really liked 3 piece blanks a few years ago, but increased traveling has sold me on the shorter sections. You can still get a guide on every ferrule of a 4 piece, which goes a long way towards making it look like a two piece. I particularly like Dan Craft's ultra thin ferrule designs.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 11:41AM

Andy , although not one of your options, I have lately had a few requests for 5 piece fly rods as they will fit diagonally in most carry-on luggage. Ladd

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 12:17PM

Andy

I used to insist on 2 piece - easier to assemble and not as many pieces to wrap and finish. I also didn't have a lot of confidence that the female ferrules would hold up. The appearance of the 2 piece finished rod was better since there were fewer wraps on the 2 peice. If you had to wrap all of the guides (especially if you were using double foot snakes) plus the female ferrules on the 4 piece, all of the wraps detracted from the visual appeal by appearing too "busy" - the same kind of effect you can get from unattractive "loud" wallpaper.

However, I've become a fan of the 4 piece over the last couple of years. I think it's because the 4 piece blanks themselves are better (or at least I've accepted that they're not likely to break under normal conditions) and also I've switched to single foot guides. The fewer wraps required have eliminated the "busy" appearance I didn't like. Coupled with the ease of storage and transport I think the 4 piece is the way to go.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 12:32PM

Andy
I like three and two piece rods myself because they are more pure, true to blank dynamics, etc.
But rarely do I get and order for anything other than a 4-piece.
The young guys that I sell to mostly always anticipate plane travel.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: July 21, 2005 12:57PM

without doubt a four piece because of the convinience. Much easier to bring around or travel with. They fit easily in my suitcase. Two piece rods takes much space when travelling around.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: July 21, 2005 12:57PM

without doubt a four piece because of the convinience. Much easier to bring around or travel with. They fit easily in my suitcase. Two piece rods takes much space when travelling around.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 01:09PM

2 piece for me, since most of my rods are of the shorter variations.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 02:00PM

Hi Andy! I'm a big fan of 2pc-ers even though I'm convinced multi-piece rods have come a long way and are very, very close in action now. That being said, after building hundreds of fly rods of numerous taper designs, etc., why are my three favorites all 2pc? Maybe it's coincidence...maybe. I was REALLY surprised when we started G&L FlyCraft to discover how many fly fishermen wanted 2pc rods as well. Perhaps they just need "educated", except upon further investigation our customers usually already have half a dozen or more high-end rods, most of which are multi-piece! We have sold more 2pc rods than multi-piece, which is particularly interesting as they represent a fairly small percentage of our lineup. That being said, those who travel generally want 4pc or occasionally 5pc.

So...you just curious or are you up to something?! ;)

All the best,

Posted by: tim hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 02:36PM

4 piece (or more) all the way. I have a full compliment of 2 piece, but I am "replacing" them as the occasion arises. 4 piece just travels so much better, and not just airline travel, but in the car as well. I haven't built a 2 piece for a client in ages.

Tim

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.155.15.73.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 03:22PM

With the exception of people wanting a rod specifically for travelling, I find that most customers don't really care. I like 3 pieces or more because they are so much easier (and cheaper) to ship and carry.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 05:06PM

Andy-
I prefer the 4PC or more rods when traveling. I like the feel of a 2PC, but they are impossible (for me) to pack and travel with. My steelhead rods for float and fly ranging from 10.5-13' are 2 piecers. The only exception is a Raven 3PC 13.5' rod that was purchased built by the factory. I like the storage on this long rod for steelhead as a 3 pc.'er. If I had a choice, I'd probably purchase all the rods in my arsenal and for my customer's as 3PC or larger.

As said by more than one poster before me, if the rod is really small (like my 2/3Wt that is 6.5') than 2pc isnt so bad.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

Posted by: David Parker (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: July 21, 2005 08:30PM

Andy; The majority of fly rods in my neck of the woods have been 2pc rods. Only a very few 4pc models have been built for a few fellows who do a lot of fly in tripping. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of business in the fly rod area, for it is not too common in my area of Ontario Canada.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 09:25PM

I like the feel of three piece rods. Two piece rods are just too long in the case and seem to me less smooth than a three piece rod. For traveling I like a five piece since my traveling usually involves backpacking. I also have a seven piece 9' 5wt Elkhorn which is very nice for backing up to lakes.

Tony

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster