I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

painting blanks
Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 10:09AM

My daughter wants her favorite ultralite rod changed to pink after I did a red one for her mom. The problem is that I can't find Krylon Fusion in pink. I can find it in the regular krylon but not in the fusion. My question is this.....Couldn't I put down a coat of white Fusion to bond to the blank and follow with a coat of regular Krylon pink which would bond to the paint.....Then a coat of Perma-gloss.....Seems like it would work to me......any negatives I am not taking into account?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: painting blanks
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 10:48AM

The only problem I see is in the weight of the multiple coats of paint on an ultralite rod. Being as you are coating with Permagloss I would look into one of the thinner automotive paints. IMHO of course.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 11:21AM

Try adding some pigment to the permagloss to get the color you want and just use that. I have not done this myself (yet) but it seems to be a popular method. Maybe some with experience will chime in.

Let us know what you end up doing and the results. Post a pic.

Mike

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 12:45PM

I like the idea of doing it all with one product if possible. I don't think you want to put on too much paint or finish at risk of really slowing down how the rod acts and feels.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.156.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 02:13PM

The tints too get the color you want then tinting permagloss or two part urethane put on with the black colored foam from the foam brushes from a home builder supply soaked well

Posted by: Andrew Mason (---.dsl.crchtx.swbell.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 09:49PM

Anyone know where I can get some permagloss? I've been everywhere and when I ask for it I get the "deer in the headlights" look.... Thanks in advance... Andrew Mason

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 09:56PM

It's a rod building product. Any of the sponsors on the left carry it. To read about it, go to the Trondak U-40 link on the left

Mike

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 01:30AM

First....Fusion DOES come in Hot Pink....It is just VERY hard to find.

If you have an airbrush (I do) Createx Auto Air Paints has a NEON Hot Pink color that is so offensive it is scarey. It should be noted that this particular color does not handle prolonged sun exposire well, but the kid will love.

I made a Barbie rod for a God Daughter using the Auto Air Paints. Even got some poor sucker to powder coat some stainless steel guides for me in hot pink. I know it won't last but I figure this rod will get light use at most.

Post Pictures?

Not even at gunpoint mister....I have a reputation to consider. LOL.

Permagloss tinted with hot pink Testor's Paint would be your best bet though given the project....I really have to break down and buy some.

Derek

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.239.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 07:11AM

MudHole has some pink blanks - maybe they can do one for you ?? Give them a call

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 04:03AM

I too am getting ready to paint a blank pink for my daughter and I do have an airbrush if needed. My question is to paint a dark gray/black rod can I expect the suggested paints to cover the dark blank with one coat or so(w/o a primer coat)? I too am worried about the build up since I am building a light freshwater rod.

For the record I checked Mudhole and their pink rods are heavier saltwater models.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 04:03AM

I too am getting ready to paint a blank pink for my daughter and I do have an airbrush if needed. My question is to paint a dark gray/black rod can I expect the suggested paints to cover the dark blank with one coat or so(w/o a primer coat)? I too am worried about the build up since I am building a light freshwater rod.

For the record I checked Mudhole and their pink rods are heavier saltwater models.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 07:34AM

maybe if you call them they can paint the blank your looking for?

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:20AM

The blank I have to use for this one is in my daughter's closet with guides and a reel attached and the blank is charcoal gray. She wants one she already has changed to pink....thinks her Daddy can accomplish ANYTHING....ha ha Don't know where she got that idea ......but I aint complaining.....I have gotten a lot of good input from you guys on this so.....I'm gonna make it happen as soon as I get the time.....I'll even try to figure out how to post pics if it turns out well.....Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster