I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning components
Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 10:08AM

I ordered an All Star titanium for a spinning rod (approx 6-12 lb line) and am wanting to build it up using the lightest components that are practical for me. I am looking for some light guides, but I'm not sure if the extra money the titanium guides cost is worth it in actual performance. How much weight difference is there really in the Titans vs. zirconia, titanium nitride, alconite, or SiC and will you really be able to tell the difference on the rod? I don't want the REC spinning guides--I just don't like the look. Also, what is a good option for the reel seat? Is the standard graphite as light as it gets? I don't really want to go with cork and slip rings but still want something light that looks decent. Any other thoughts on keeping a spinning rod light would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning components
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: July 20, 2005 10:22AM

I am not sure what the difference is, but I use the Alconote guides mostly for my rods and I just use the smallest I can get away with . You should be able for that rod go down to #6 fly guides for most of the rod and work your way up to the reel. For the reelseat, you could use a skeleton reelseat and make or purchase a cork insert. To me that would be about the lightest you could get for the reelseat.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 12:36PM

I hadn't thought of the skeleton seat with cork insert. I like that idea a lot. I'm also considering the Batson M series guides. Those things go down to a size 4. I'm not sure if they would be lighter than Titans in size 7 or 8, but I would imagine that they would be close. Then again, I've been wrong before...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.156.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 01:54PM

The Titan guides are lighter. The M guides will put the ring a lot higher. I feel too high
The titan or fuji concept guides I think are the way to go. IMHO

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 10:18PM

I aggree with Mike about the reel seat. The titanium framed SIC guides are the lightest regardless of the
maker. Very spendy though! I too like Batson Ent. and of course Fuji concept has always been hard to beat.

Tight Lines !!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster