I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrapping spinning rods
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:31AM

Hi All! I've been gone for awhile. I hope everyone's well.
Question: Mike Barkley has been a great help to me with rod building and deciding on a spin rod blank and components for my newphew. Is building and wrapping a spinning rod any different than a fly rod? Is the building sequence the same? I've done 3 fly rods and they've gotten better each time, but I've never attempted a spin rod. He likes to fish for smallmouth bass. I was thinking of a med./heavy, 71/2-foot rod because he also likes to fish for steelhead occasionally. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrapping spinning rods
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:51AM

hello Bruce i do alot of smallmouth fishin up here in michigan as far as the river goes i like the7''6 med.lite with a fast action more then enough rod when drifting crawlers or leaches. when throwing rapalas the 6''6 scv has become my favorite. depending were your at the 7''6 will hold up to steelhead in the med.lite deppending on what kinda waters you guys fish myself i use 9ft and 9''6 drift rods a 16mm reel seat and some fuji guides and your good to go hope i could help tight wraps crabtree's customs

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.25.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 10:03AM

Bruse
Check out thes articals on spin guide placement:
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org] On the library page

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: July 19, 2005 10:13AM

Gee, I'm sorry Bill. I should have looked there first.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2005 10:39AM

Everything is done pretty much the same, handle mounting, guide prep and wrapping, etc. If you can build a fly rod you can build a spinning rod.

There was an article on building specialty smallmouth bass spinning rods in the volume 7 #1 issue of RodMaker.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.25.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 10:52AM

No need to be sorry. Spinning rods IMHO I think are the rods that really use the system well
Careful of the guides you get- there are all purpose( lower ring height ) concept the ones too use ( just a good height )
and the ( M ) guides, maybe a little high?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster