I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Use or not,color preserver?????
Posted by: dick laxton (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 06:05AM

In reading the Flex Coat tips,Flex Coat stated: Quote on text,,,,,,,,,

Note: We do not use color preserver on any of the wraps that hold the guides down because it prevents the finish from soaking into the thread, which is essential for a strong bond.

With this statement from the manufacturer,I'm at a loss as to what is best,am I missing something?

dick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Use or not,color preserver?????
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:03AM

This was covered yesterday -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:06AM

Hi Dick! This one is sort of touchy around here, but it depends on the look your going for. If you want your wraps to remain the color(s) they are prior to finishing them, then you'll have to use some sort of CP or use metalic threads. If not, then don't use CP and your wraps will become translucent, but with practice, you will learn to apply thead as in mixing paint to achieve the effect you're looking for.

As far as strength of the wrap goes, I believe it's been stated many times, the difference in CP verses Non CP is only about 10%.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.25.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:26AM

The thread holds the guides on the blank
CP holds the color as it is seen on the spool
No CP will make it get darker and become transparent
Strong with or without, just make sure the thread wrap is done well

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 01:00PM

Strength issue aside, there are other reasons for not using color preserver on guide wraps. A search of the subject can point you to these and then you can make a decision.

For myself, I've chosen never to use CP on guide wraps based on past problems that a few honest customers brought to me on rods I had built for them.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 04:06PM

It's personal preference. Strength is NOT an issue. I use it onall wraps unless I am matching a repair or going for a particular look

Mike

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.152.174.94.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:37PM

It has good and bad properties for sure. As Tom stated earlier you can use it as long as you get finish in the tunnels and create shoulders around the guide feet. I have had 2 failures that could have been prevented if I had know that the finish wouldn't soak through and I could have made sure finish got under the wraps. I build simple rods for myself that I don't expect to last over three years (with exception to fly rods) since I abuse my equipment from fishing it too hard too long and too often. For what I am building it's just an extra step that adds no real functionality. I have sworn it off forever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster