I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson Speys
Posted by: wayne chubb (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:00PM

Has anyone built many (any) of the Batson speys? I was looking at the 13' 8/9 for our Central Valley steelies and shad, and some of the smaller coastal rivers - medium density lines and medium flies for the most part. I don't expect something comarable to my more well-heeled buddy's Burkheimers, but the price is tough to ignore.

I notice that they are listed as IM6/IM7, and 33 million modulus, which seems lower than what I'm used to seeing. I know most of you who eshperts refer to what the rods cc at - what does that mean? I assume it's a more accurate comparison than modulus numbers.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson Speys
Posted by: Marko A Arhagen (---.bredband.skanova.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 07:44AM

They are great blanks that make great fishingrods, I built a 11'6" to a customer and he is morre than satisfied, The 11'6" is a littelbit underclassed He uses a 9,3 meters shooting head with a weight of 27 grams #8 and not #6/7 as specified, and it cast wounderful. they are med/fast withe deep flex.
I am about to build all of them but there is as always time missing.
I miss the old rx8 spey rods but i am sure the new seris gone be just as good.

Marko

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 10:45AM

Wayne-

The IM6/IM7 rating doesn't describe the true nature in which these blanks are constructed. I own the 6/7 4PC in the 11'6" length. The sections differ greatly in the amount of flex and rigidity. It is difficult to classify this rod as a set modulus because they vary the sections based on what they are after for an end result. My forecast is very rigid (I was unable to fine the spine in the butt section) at the butt end and the middle sections flex little, finally the last lenth contains most of the flex. In my very limited opinion in regards to spey, this is exactly the way the rod should be put together.

I agree it is difficult to ignore the cost associated with the entire build. My rod kit from Hook and Hackle cost under 75 USD! The components that came with it are top notch for a first time spey rod kit.

I've posed this question to Karry Batson and got his answer, I wouldn't mind an opinion or two on my thought process here. I was thinking of putting single foot ceramics as the guides for this rod. That way it could be used for centerpinning (float), one handed fly casting, and then traditional spey. Has anyone done this with the forecasts? Sorry if this question sidesteps the true nature of the original posted question, I'm not meaning to take over. Feel free to email your answers if that would be more polite.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

Defjam@core.com
Infinityrodcreations@yahoo.com

Posted by: David Olley (---.onspeed.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 08:22PM

I have built 2 of the 14 ft 9/10 wt. purchased from Hook and Hackle. One is very traditional with snake rings and full cork handle, the other a bit more radical with split handles and super lightweight fittings. They are used for salmon on Scottish rivers. The blank is fantastic and makes up into a first class fishing rod. My friend whio is a professional ghillie and expert spey caster (which I am not) rates this as one of the best casting rods he has tried.
The blue blank also looks awsome and is unbeleivable value for money.
Dave Olley
Scotland

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster