I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Deep drop/ Cod blank?
Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.medfrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 06:58PM

Looking to build a few deep drop rods and would like some suggestions from guys who not only build them, but also fish them. Most likely to be used for deep drops (150-350') for Cod, Pollack, Wolfish, etc... but would also be used on occasion on oversea excursions for big grouper and the like. I understand Seeker 909 cut down to a 14 or 16 tip is popular. Have also seen Calstar 800M, 800H, and 900's cut down. Lamiglas CGBT 96 H was another suggestion. These rods would be used for jigging and bait with loads between 12 to 21 oz. Potentially the rods may need to be dedicated for one task and not both, but believe experience would dictate that. Assuming 8' is the better length for slinging jigs, would the same pertain to bait fishing? Any help would be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deep drop/ Cod blank?
Posted by: Sean Endres (69.177.245.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 08:35PM

Shawn,

I built myself both the Lamiglas CGBT96H and a Seeker CSB909, cut to a 14 tip. I do a fair amount of cod fishing in the Gulf of Maine. Majority of my cod fishing is from party boats. I mainly jig, and use bait on occassion. I perfer the Lamiglas CGBT96H. It's great for jigging. I jig with mostly 10 and 12 oz. jigs, but have used up to 17oz. The 96H could handle 21oz. jig, no problem. The CSB909 is a little soft in the tip for me, might be better cut to a 16 tip. Both rods are 8', which works well both with bait and jigs.

I also have a Calstar 900M blank here, which I just started working on this past weekend. I cut it down to a 14 tip. Very, very similar to the 96H, except it is much lighter.

Tha Lami 96H is just my personal preference, but the are all very nice blanks and capable for the fishing you described. My suggestion to you would be to find a shop or builder in your area who carries these blanks, and pull on them, and see how they feel to you.

Sean

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:49PM

Shawn...good advice from Sean.

You've got to see how they feel to YOU. I will add that alot of the diehard codfisherman, cover the range you mention, with two rods.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: July 19, 2005 07:05AM

Sean, thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, there aren't many places to pull on those blanks around here! Based on your suggestions, I would lean toward the 900H cut down based on weight. Although not the main concern, I prefer to build on the lightest blank I can to accomplish what I want. If you were to build exclusively for bait, I am assuming you would leave the tip a bit on the lighter side like a 14 rather then a jig stick cut to a 16? How long do you like to make your butt and fore grips? I understand many guys are using the rail for leverage so wondering if you accomodate that with a longer foregrip? I imagine hypalon would be the better choice if that's the case.

Mike, you of all people I am sure has built his fair share of cod rods. I am planning on calling Neil this week before he heads to Alaska to pick his brain. Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Date: July 19, 2005 04:27PM

"Scrod Rods"........thread and epoxy @#$%& pigs!!!! Good luck. (Neil may suggest the 900M cut to suit your needs, 18" rear plus butt cap, 12" fore)

Date: July 19, 2005 04:44PM

I use 18" hypalon rear grip and a 8" EVA foregrip. Once again, whatever suits you needs best for the grips. Some people prefer 10" foregrip, some like the 12", I like the 8". I do use the rail for leverage, but I did recieve a message from Mike awhile back that said, "stop riding the rail!!!". LOL!!!!! Can't wait to do a cod fish trip with you, Mike.

As for bait rods, my Lami with a 14 tip is fine for that, and I would imagine the same for the Calstar. I am really not into bait fishing and try to avoid it as much as possible.

Date: July 19, 2005 05:48PM

Sean... I don't know how many broken rods I've seen and repaired due to "rail riding" and using the rail as a fulcrum for jigging. Its a brutal sport you guys play! The Lami BT968S, all fiberglass blank, really enjoys being crushed on a rail! LOL. The composites can withstand the abuse of this behavior far better.....
....we'll fish someday, I'll be riding the rail with the best of them!!!!! ( I'll need a tutor / mentor though..and cheesecake :)

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.medfrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 05:55PM

Thanks Mike. I thought Neil would have left the shop by now as he always is complaining, LOL! Sean, truth be told, I haven't Cod fished up that way but have a friend who has. Here in NJ, we have cod trips, but they are really ling trips with an occasional small cod or pollack. Hardly demands what's used up there! I love to jig, so I assume I would fall into your style of fishing rather then bait, but I am a fishermen, so I do what's working to catch fish. That said, I'll probably build something better suited for jigging, with the ability to fish bait. Any other specifics you guys can add? Assuming you guys are spiral wrapping these? Thinking of hitting the YC Cashes Ledge trip on Sept. 3rd. Thanks again!

Date: July 19, 2005 06:24PM

Shawn, I do not have any spiral wrapped rods and have never fished one. I see a few while fishing up north, and the guys that have them swear by them. So I am going to spiral wrap the Calstar that I am working on now, and see what I think about these spiral wrapped rods.

Date: July 19, 2005 07:14PM

Mike, I can picture rods breaking "riding the rail". I never used to do that, but saw others doing it. Monkey see, monkey do. LOL!! I have to stop doing that!!! I will be doing more cod fishing this fall, I will get in touch with you.

Date: July 20, 2005 12:10PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2005 07:39PM by Sean Endres.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster