I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bracelets and fish eyes, a heads up
Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 05:07PM

I have an old friend that I use to work with who is the general manager of five very large and modern Paint and Body Shops here in San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Fish eyes in their paint work was about to drive them crazy in one of the local shop's. As hard as they tied they couldn't find what was causing the problems. They could move the vehicle to one of the other shops and the paint work would be perfect. It about drove them crazy until they recieved a tip from someone from the Chysler factory, telling them to check and see if anyone was wearing one of the colored plastic wrist bands that are so popular today. Sure enough one of the Painters was wearing one and it was causing the fish eye problem. They found out from it's manufactuer that was not only made out of silicon formula but the moulds were coated with a siicon release agent. Seems that Chysler had had the same kind of problems with their factory finish on the assemby line. Suffice to say any technition now caught wearing one in any of these shops is subject to ternination on the spot.

It just appears to me that if the bracelets cause fish eyes in modern automotive paints that they certainly could and I repeat could do the samething with our rod finishes.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bracelets and fish eyes, a heads up
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.82.142.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 08:08PM

Thanks for the scoop Gerald!
My wife and son are into these bracelets and they are laying around all over the place. It never occurred to me that they might be a problem. I know there are a pile of them not too far from where I have a pile of blanks and thread. Gonna have to do a bit of preventative cleaning now.

Re: Bracelets and fish eyes, a heads up
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.146.214.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 06:32AM

I just found out the hard way that another cause is the syringe used for measuring the components. I had a couple sets that were getting pretty ugly... then I remembered seeing the pharmacist at the drug store show a lady a syringe and how to use it in measuring for the meds. for her kid. Looked the same as mine.. so I later asked if they would sell me some.. sure did, and then the fish eye started... for no reason... on a new rod... didn't dawn on me until I read somewhere that that manufacturer had their syringes made to strict conditions and that they did not have silicon. Well, I stopped using those syringes and the fish-eye stopped as well... just a warning,,, they were not worth the $0.20 each.

Tight lines and fish-eye free finishes,

Art

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster