I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Rod Modification
Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.sip.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 08:52PM

I built a rod for my friend to use fishing for speckled trout and redfish down here in Louisiana's fine marshes. 7' Rainshadow blank, used the bumper guide system and holographic guides, and a nice buttwrap with red and gold metallics and nylon threads. Put his name on it in metallic gold and a gold speckled trout decal.
Looks really sharp.
My wife and I brought it to him at his house and his wife thought it was beautiful, and he was pleased with it too.
A couple of days later he told me that his wife told him to make sure he carries a pocket knife with him when he fishes with that rod I made him. He asks her why, and she says "so you can cut the line if you hook a big redfish, you don't want to break that new rod, Larry put a lot of time into making it for you."
I laughed, and I knew he would never dream of cutting off a big red no matter what rod it was hooked to.
Then I got to thinking about some posts I read about people putting things like cards listing components used inside the handles of their custom built rods.

I'm thinking of some kind of emergency knife that screws into the buttcap, just in case you ever need to cut off a big fish.

Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rod Modification
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2005 08:58PM

Maybe Bill Batson will give away pocket knives with all his blanks. Sure would reduce the exposure to warranty replacement!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2005 09:08PM

I guarantee that those IP844 Rainshadows could haul in the biggest redfish that cruise the La. marshes. I think between Bill and I there are about 300 of them in use now and with Larry building on them those reds won't have a chance.

Lance

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 10:03PM

THose rods are so tough that I think they would turn a marlin. Besides, all the big reds are west of the Sabine.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.ev1.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 10:04PM

I built a rod for a friend in repayment for some favors and he told me yesterday that he wont use it cause he is afraid he might break it or damage it. I was crushed, I built it for him to use not sit in the corner! I told him to use it and if he ever broke it I would fix it but I really dont think he will. I guess I need to make him a rod with no butt wrap and nothing special on the guides and wraps so at least he would have one good rod to use!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 10:04PM

If he uses the rod correctly and does not high stick it, it should be fine

Posted by: PETE TENNEY (---.146.100-243.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 02:44AM

You tell dat boy he hook one a dem BIG redfish, he jes' carry 'long dat twice barrel carabeen or one a dem aromatic shootguns...an' when dat ol' fish he run away an' mebbee break dem pole, I'm thinkin', me, he jes' give him one a dem Texas heart shots right up dat red fish butt...It stop him right quick, ah garontee!

Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:24AM

I have no doubt the rod will do it's job, and the owner knows how to fish, I just thought it was really funny she told him that.

Oh, and there are one or two big reds east of the Sabine :) .

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2005 09:25AM by Larry Laurent.

Posted by: joe brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 04:04PM

How 'bout you just put the line wt on the rod somewhere near his name...with a good drag and the appropriate wt of line for the blank the line should break well before the rod does. Who knows if he plays the fish just right and the stars are aligned properly he might land that big fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster