I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The "A" disease
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 16, 2005 11:00PM

I think Mike Barkley is right, I have the "A" disease. I finished a rod for my best friend and a long time fishing pardner. When I went to test cast it I found that I had forgotten to glue the rear grip and broke it. The blank is a Batson popping rod blank. One of the old ones that I got from Richards Rod and Reel a while back. Good tough blank to be used for live baiting redfish. It is everything Richard said it was. My friend came by this morning to get his rod and said, "What have you done to my rod? Is it ruined?" I told him that I was going to make it prettier by doing a split rear grip and marbleizing the space in between. I showed him a sample of some marbleizing I had done and he agreed. That is the first time in my twenty some odd years of rod building that I have forgotten to glue a grip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The "A" disease
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.57.187.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 12:13AM

Oops!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 17, 2005 12:52AM

I knew it!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 17, 2005 01:00AM

I thought I knew it, too, Mike-but I forgot.

Great story, Ellis. We're not too proud to tell on ourselves once in a while!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 01:24AM

What is the "A" disease? What are the symtoms?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 17, 2005 02:07AM

I'd tell ya, but I've forgotten.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-43-126.telecom.net.ar)
Date: July 17, 2005 05:20PM

I think it is Alzheimer´s, nut cannot properly remember...

Date: July 17, 2005 05:43PM

I think I got the drift, but I for got what this thread is about?

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-43-126.telecom.net.ar)
Date: July 17, 2005 08:28PM

Ellis Mendiola ...

Ellis, are You sure, i mean certainly sure, that You forgot to glue it?
Sometimes when using small amounts of glue or epoxy can get loose, or even when a very well done art job has been done can the grip get misteriously loose. Just think about all the factory rods that have problems like this.

Hope it is just an accidental mistake, like having your mind set on something more interesting. On the other hand, this thread has turned into a very interesting "issue" to think about when we start building rods frecuently and set our minds in "authomatic mode".

Tight ... no, no, no, .... strong bonds!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 09:58PM

Adolfo,
Believe me I forgot to epoxy the grip. I had a tight fit on the grip and left it sitting on the blank. Next day I epoxyed
the grip and foregrip and finished the rod. Some of the epoxy from gluing the seat stuck to the forgrip and when I twisted the grip to see if it was glued, I broke it at the place where the seat had stuck to it. I am almost 66 years old and I am having to label where I put everything. I bought a bunch of plastic shoe boxes at a dollar store. I have labeled all of my fly tying material and have a place for my gps, my digital camera, etc. I have lost my hearing in my right ear but now I have an excuse. When my wife says did I do something, I tell her that I forgot or did not hear her. You have to take things in stride, with lemons you make lemonade.

Date: July 17, 2005 10:12PM

Ellis,
Could you remind me where I put the lemons? LOL ! !

Loved your post ! After all we are only human !!

I recently built a rod with a removable rear grip of cork
and forgot to incert a piece of blank or dowel onto the
cork and the first time I casted the rod I broke the cork
just below the fighting-butt hardware OOOPS!!!

We all contract the "A:" disease from time to time I guess!

Raymond Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2005 10:19PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 11:10PM

Ellis..........If life is giving you lemons all you have to do is find someone that life is giving Vodka.............and you BOTH can have a party!

Cheers!

Derek

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster