I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kingfish Stick
Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 03:21PM

I'm looking to build a Shakespeare GBU 84-5 for kingfish this fall but can't find anyone that still has shakespeare blanks. Does anyone know where I can get these blanks from? If not any recommendations on a good substiutue. I'm looking for something with a soft tip for livebaiting.

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kingfish Stick
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 14, 2005 03:49PM

Scott - 'Sorry I can't help you find that blank (my Shakespeare kingstix are factory). But if you get stuck looking at unfamiliar lines of blanks, this subject came up last week. Take a look at this Post: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Re: Anyone ever.... Tom Kirkman (Moderator) July 5, 2005 04:39PM
"It [the tip on the Seeker CLB-70-8 series] is soft for a reason - it allows you to use live bait with great success. I'd be careful before I started trimming that tip - I've used the CLB702, 04, 06 and 08 over the years and really, really like those blanks just because of those soft tips. It would not, however, be my first choice for throwing plugs. But for live baiting, it's a hard blank to beat." -Tom Kirkman-

Posted by: William Harvey (---.nantahalabank.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 04:07PM

Scott,

I am the person that the above excerpt was written about, I'm building a Seeker CLB 708 right now. I have not fished with it yet, and have decided not to cut the tip down and just see if it works for trolling spoons as well as live baiting, which I am sure it's perfectly suited for. I'd recommend it.

The only thing I have had trouble with was it took time, about 6 weeks, to get the rod made and drop shipped from Seeker. You may want to ask your retailer if they have it in stock or if they'r ordering it made at the factory and drop shipped.

Best of luck

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 04:27PM

William:

I can't beleive I missed that post as i check this website about everyday. It appears you made a good decision not cutting the blank, based on what people were saying. Thanks for the info.

Scott

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 04:53PM

Anyone try the Rainshadow SWS597 for Kingfish?

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 07:00PM

We also have a new composite stick designed for these applications. It is 9'0" rated for 25 lb.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 07:49PM

One of my customers is a competitor in the SKA (Southern Kingfish Association). Most of these guys fish Penn International 12 LT's spooled with 20 lb. test mono. We've decided between us that the Seeker CLB-704 is the perfect stick for this application. Tuff butt rear grip, Fuji Graphite gimbal, Fuji 20 graphite reel seat and a 9" flocked foregrip. Spiral wrapped with Fuji NSG's for the stripper and transition and single foots to the tip. Just our opinion.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 15, 2005 05:00PM

What Lynn Said.
I have also used the Forecast SWB70M spriral wrapped with good feedback. That one is all fiberglass and considerably cheaper than the seeker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster