I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions on rebuilding a rod
Posted by: Matthew Sattazahn (---.bntasp01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 11:53AM

I am planning on rebuilding a (poorly made) custom made heavy action saltwater rod that i bought used at a local tackle shop. i am just hoping for the voice of experience or some tips to help me out in this process.

Other than cutting off the guides, reel seat, and grips, the problem i have is that the person who built this rod put finish (it is really thick - it looks like epoxy!) over the entire rod after he wrapped the guides on. So after i cut off the guides, i am going to be left with some big sections of the blank that will have no thick finish on it. i figure my only option is to sand the entire blank down until i remove all the previous finish , and then put a coat or two of Permagloss on it - then put on the new components. The finish may be thick enough that i may be able to chip some of it off the the blank after i remove the guides.

Has anyone run into this? Any tips other than some sandpaper and elbow grease?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions on rebuilding a rod
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 01:02PM

If what your dealing with is truely epoxy finish, then you should be able to heat the remaining finish after removing the guide with a blow dryer and remove it by gently peeling it from the original rod finish. If it is epoxy, then it should be fairly easy to remove without damaging the original finish.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.org)
Date: July 14, 2005 01:08PM

Yuck. Keep the components, pitch the blank in the trash, and make yourself a nice, new rod in half the time :).

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 02:36PM

Also try scraping it off with a Dull knife. Don't cut into the blank. Go esy and it should come off well
Then a wash, light sand with about 400, permagloss or color then permagloss

If you think it is worth it

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 03:17PM

I coat about 90% of my heavy rods from tip to foregrip with flexcoat. To strip one it is easy to start at the tip, heat about 6" with a torch, cut the guide wraps with a razor and peal it off, scrape the area with a knife held 90 degrees to the blank untill all epoxy and paint is gone, now heat a second 6" and repeat untill you have scraped the entire blank all the way to the forgrip. This procedure works very well and the rod should be clean in less than an hour. Jesse

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 15, 2005 02:31PM

You coul'd always just trim the spaces where the guides were, then re-guide the rod using
hi-

b

You could always trim out the spaces where the guides were, then re-guide the rod, using HI-BUILD epoxy to level every thing out.
Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster