I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lesson learned for today
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 12:13AM

Boy, I've had more than my share of kicks to the head when it comes to rodbuilding lately. Granted, some are due to my own ignorance and learning curve as I try new things and what not.

Picked up a 4rpm drying motor and support at a local store for about $35. Put the second and last coat of LS Supreme on my friend's Calstar stand-up rod which came out beautifully. Started on my Dan Craft fly rod spines. Went in to check on my finish and found my drying motor FELL APART! The cheap rubber rod holder fell off the motor.

Tried some heat to do some Damage control, the results are fair but the epoxy had already set a bit too much and my attempts to wick the drips off only made things a bit worse. May have to do some sanding. Frustrating! Guess I will be epoxying my drying motor together tomorrow so this doesn't happen twice.

Any suggestions other than sanding?

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lesson learned for today
Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 12:21AM

I am no expert but I had a very similar occurrence with a Seeker stand-up a few weeks ago. the rod fell out of the drying motor, landing on the wooden base still supported by the V-blocks with the guides straight up. All the run and drip was on the bottom (including about 8" of buttwrap).

I bought a set of small files in various shapes for notta lotta money. They are about 6" long and come with wooden handles in a small red plastic case. I found them to be just the ticket for taking off those drips and sags. I can easily reach around guides with them and the flat sides really helped smooth and level everything out.

I considered going back over all the boo-boos with sandpaper but the files are fine enough that I was able to refinish without further prep to an excellent finish.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.221.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 07:40AM

Get this rod holder. Never had any rod fall off it costly but works well You don't need that center stem thingy [www.cabelas.com]

A lot of sponcers on the left cary it

Date: July 14, 2005 10:51AM

Thanks for the tip. Will do that for sure, use this other one as my epoxy mixer (thanks for the tip Larry, hadn't thought of that but would work perfect).

Phil

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 02:32PM

Phil,

I use the same chuck that Bill pointed out to you. I use the Rubberbands as the picture shows, and then wrap masking tape around the whole deal to make sure nothing comes loose. I had a rod fall onto the dirty garage floor... guides don't look to good with dirt and dog hair stuck to them!! lol

Carrington

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 02:44PM

I have had the two I use for several years and have not had one fall off yet - knock on wood
Now that I said that, the next one will ??!!

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 02:54PM

Hi Phil. I would love to say that this has never happened to me. Truth is I think most rod builders have had malfunctions in this area. Motor failure, rod holding apparatus, gremlins and who knows what else. I have been building rods for probably 40 years and it has happened more than once. Suggestions of course sanding comes to mind and if it were me a Bud or two. I definetly feel for you my friend, hope you learn faster that I did.

Posted by: Nacho Garibay (---.disney.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 04:24PM

Hey Phil,

I will let you in on one of Doc Ski's methods on getting rid of those finish lumps.

About two month's ago, I went over to visit Doc Ski and learn more about rod building. While I was not there when Doc had put up a couple of rods on the turner, he fell asleep only to be woken up to be asked if he wanted to rods to be turning while they were drying. Doc jumped up and found the rods with lumps on the finish. That is when I got there, he was not a happy man, but he knew what to do. Did he use sand paper or a file to get of the lumps, NOPE. He got out a razor and trim those lumps right out of the the finish. Like in two seconds, he had those rods looking like a glass finish finish again, with a litte rod finish re-applied, they looked like they had a chrome finish. Would I use a razor now, you bet. But this is because I practiced what Doc showed me and it has to at a time when I am not hungry or my hands shake a little. But I did have a lot of practice in when I use to have lumpy finishes due a bad mix or power outages here in Florida.
You will be amazed at how this works. Just be careful NOT TO CUT THE THREAD.

Finish lumps are no longer are a problem for me, but I still hate to see them.
Good habits are hard to brake.

Date: July 15, 2005 10:15PM

Thanks all with all the comments/suggestions.

After another coat of epoxy, everything molded together quite nicely. You can still see too very small lumps, but it'll do. I leave Sunday for Japan. Anyone need anything within reason, e-mail me.

Went fishing last night, landed a 466 lb bull shark. :) To kick it off, I was by myself in my own boat. That makes for an interesting story, let me tell you.

Haven't slept and gotta work tomorrow... crashing out. Thanks again.

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster