I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power rod wrapper
Posted by: Eijiro Kawada (---.thenewstribune.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 07:18PM

I'm wondering if I should buy a power rod wrapper, and needing some input.
I build only a few rods a year, and manual rod wrapper has done the job fine so far. I have a separate rod dryer setup with a motor, and I use a wood lathe for turning corks. Considering that I don't need a power wrapper for these two functions, are there still other advantages to using a power wrapper?
Am I missing something? Or, should I just save the few hundred dollars I would be spending on a power wrapper and buy a few more blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power rod wrapper
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.226.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 13, 2005 07:28PM

Buy more blanks.
I read a lot of posts that a lot of builders get one - then go back to hand wrapping

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2005 08:10PM

It all depends on the type rods you build and the type wraps you make. Are you building larger rods? Perhaps with long wraps or underwraps? If so, you can't beat a power wrapper. What takes you minutes with a hand device is done in mere seconds with a power wrapper. This will, however, require a bit of a learning curve, but it's not that though. A couple weeks and you'll be zipping through the long wraps.

If you only build light rods with very short wraps on small guides, then it may not end up being anything other than an expensive toy. Just some things you'll want to consider.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 08:20PM

I think they need to get a better name for the gizmos. I bought the Pac Bay recently, due to price, and the free turner give away. At this point I am quite pleased with my new toy. I do underwraps, cork finishing by wet sanding with True Oil and finish application at approximately 200 RPM. I still do all my guide wrapping on the V block stand. My standard guide wrap has a two metallic thread trim band, two single inlays in A Metallic and three security wraps on single foot guides. I have not been able to get the Pac Bay set at a comfortable height to do the guide wrapping with ease. I am now building a lot of split grip stuff and underwrap the space on the butt for marbeling and decal. I also underwrap an area in front of the reel seat or foregrip for graphics. I have been moving away from cross wraps - too much time - and most of my customers want rod performance and do not want to pay for glitz. I built approximately 200 rods before I broke down and bought a power gizmo. I will now admit it has speeded up my output considerably. Do you need it - probably not - will it be a good tool - yes - buy the best one you can afford.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2005 09:49PM

Eijiro,
You might want to just motorize your manuel jig and see if you like it or use the motor
enough.
A sewing machine motor and foot pedel works well and you can also buy power heads,
& other power jig componants seperatly.

I build mostly by hand but upgrading the wooden jig my Dad built for me saves me a lot
of time for a lot of things. The $ spent was minimal and it has served me quite well.

I'm looking for a used professional power model or If I can't find a used one I'll have to buy
a new one as I am building more rods than ever now!

Enjoy!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 12:07AM

I also have a PacBay power wrapper. I do a lot of one piece rods to 10' length. I found the PacBay was easy to modify to accomodate the length. I mounted it so that I can easily slide the entire wrapper back and forth on my bench so that the area of the rod that I am working on stays in front of me with the good light and all my tools within easy reach. Limiting factor is the balance point of the wrapper and the length of the foot control cord.

I tie cord-wrapped surf or "deckhand" rods. With the power wrapper I can do the job in seconds while maintaining several pounds of tension on the cord. This can be hand cramping misery to do manually. I also use it to shape hypalon grips and customize cork but I feel that I am abusing the small motor and especially the graphite(?) stanchion that holds the belt pulley/chuck. I picked up a midi-lathe to take over those duties (but have not taken the time to set it up, yet).

I like the fact that the wrapper keeps constant, adjustable tension on the thread while leaving both my hands free.

Underwraps take a few seconds with a wrapper. The thread tension is usually enough to pull the thread carriage along without my interference. I can wrap even small guides more evenly and quicker with the wrapper.

I only built three rods before buying the power wrapper a few years ago, so I never had years of manual experience to un-learn when switching to the power wrapper. What we learn first we learn best and I can understand why folks who have wrapped by hand power for years would prefer it.

Posted by: Peter Lai (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 09:32AM

I have a Custom PowerWrap and absolutely love it. I don't think I would ever go back to hand wrapping after using the PowerWrap. I have to admit that the prices are high, but the quality is top notch. Also, I got it for free from my boss at the tackle shop I use to wrap at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster