I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spin grip length for fly blank
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 09:57AM

Trying to put together a 7'6 spinning rod using a SCIII 2wt. fly blank, but having some difficulty balancing the rod d/t the extra length. Using a lightweight Quantum Catalyst spinning reel. Can anyone offer a suggestion from experience on what length or type of handle to try? Right now I have a St. Croix 12" handle (from kit) on it and it still seems a bit front-heavy. Thanks for any suggestions, always appreciated! Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spin grip length for fly blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2005 10:17AM

You're going to have to compromise a bit here. If you make the handle long enough to put the reel where it will balance the rod, you'll likely end up with a handle that is so long that you won't be able to use the rod as you originally intended. So...

I would make the handle to suit your requirements for use and taste. Once you've done that, attack the balance problem another way. Do all you can to reduce component weight near the tip. Use the smallest and lightest guides that will work and keep those wraps short and the finish as light as possible.

Beyond that, and in order to "get the most for the least," you may wish to add just a bit of weight to the very butt end of the rod. I'd exercise some caution here, however, as sometimes on longer rods you have to add so much weight that the additional overall weight negates any advantage of the rod being balanced.

Build the handle length to suit you. Keep the guide weight low, and consider adding just a tad of weight to the extreme butt end of the blank. Let us know how it turns out.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 11:12AM

Thanks for the suggestions Tom, I appreciate the help! My wife's grandad wanted a rod of this type for panfish. The blank without a grip feels excellent, wish I could just tape the reel on! Maybe a split grip with a bit of weight in the very butt section would work? I'll tinker a bit more and let you know what happens. I agree about the minimal weight toward the tip, I'm using the concept arrangement with #6 alconites as the running guides. Thanks again Tom.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 03:20PM

I recently built a 9 ft. 3 wt. blank into a spinning (2# Stren or lighter) rod and used a 11 in. butt grip because the recipient wanted it. I test cast the rod and the grip + 1 1/2 oz. of lead in the butt cap balanced this rod on the casters index finger when holding the reelfoot between the two middle fingers. I'm not telling you to use a 11 in. butt grip but it's a starting point. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 04:21PM

Thanks Ralph! Currently, my balance point is near the front of the foregrip and feels really awkward. Just curious, are there weights sold commercially for this purpose (balancing)?

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 07:58PM

Several years ago I bought 1lb. coils of 1/8'', 3/16'' and 1/4'' hollow lead. I rolled up a disk shaped spiral of the 1/8'' to snugly fit in the bottom of the rubber rodbutt and added to it until the balance was right, with the reel on the rod. I epoxied (Rod Bond) the lead into the rubber butt and a 1'' piece inside the rear end of the blank and clamped the butt tight with two rubber bands overnight. I'm currently building a 9' 6wt. for myself in similar fashion. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: joe arvay (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 04:55AM

Mike, the split grip/butt weight is a good idea here, essentially you're just getting better balancing with equal or less handle weight. Consider the "no foregrip" design, it's perfect for light rods and really let's one cut weight in front of the reel. Comfortable too!

As far as the actual form of butt weight, any lead weight (egg, bullet, etc) will do nicely if you've got a good hammer hand. Take the sinker, set it on a flat surface and hit it squarley with a hammer. You'll get the hang of it and what's possible as far as shaping, it's basically a hammer forging type activity sans the heat. A little practice and you'll be able to get squares, pill shape, cone, flat egg....you name it. Lead is soft and easy to hammer shapes out of. Much faster than pouring and makes for quick experiments. Anvils are nice, but any flat plate (as in 10-25 lb fitness weights) make a nice anvil as long as you have a flat surface.

Watch the fingers:)

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 08:00AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to try some shaping with lead sinkers for some butt weight combined with a split grip and see what happens. I just don't want to turn the rod into a tuna stick compared to original intentions. Compared with what I have now though, hopefully it can only balance better! Thanks again, Mike.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.221.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 10:18AM

You can also use heavier rings like burl or even wood

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster