I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fast action 6 weight blank?
Posted by: Christopher Rhoden (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: July 12, 2005 11:31PM

I'm a new rod builder but enjoy building and I'm looking for another rod to build. I need a fast action 6 weight for heavy trout applications( heavy sink - tips, large indicator rigs, hoppers, etc.). Does anybody have a reccomendation for a blank that fits such an criteria? If so, who manfactures it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fast action 6 weight blank?
Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: July 13, 2005 12:02AM

Chris,

Our FT blanks are fast action and very crisp! The price is right as well and we are offering free shipping in the contenental USA for the month of July for orders over $200.00! Give me a call to order at 1-541-782-4404

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Posted by: Kim Hermann (---.ds1-sdb.adsl.cybercity.dk)
Date: July 13, 2005 10:39AM

I would say you should take a look at St.Croix.
Try the 4F906.4

Posted by: Bill Vance (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 13, 2005 01:58PM

It will be difficult to find a better blank than the Sage XP 690-4. A little "$pendy" but for the purposes you have listed, the Sage 6 weights are excellent.

Bill

Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 03:29PM

Thanks guys, the help is appreciated. I'm looking at Dan's blanks at the moment, I just don't quite have the money for a Sage blank for now.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 13, 2005 06:17PM

I have an FT 905 -4pc that I use with a 6# line to meet the applications you describe. It performs superbly!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: John Dow (---.213.252.64.snet.net)
Date: July 13, 2005 07:27PM

Chris , I built a FT 6wt last winter for EXACTLY what you want to do . My first use for it is schoolie stripers , second is "team nymphing" with shot , and a "broom" indicator . I can't tell you how well it has worked in both situations , took 3-12 lb stripers all day on Cape cod this early summer , and did well in the spring with the nymphs too . I am sure the FT in a 5 would be just as good if not better if it were just for nymphing . ........... and the price is right to boot !! Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.bp.com)
Date: July 15, 2005 01:37AM

Just got out on the water with a DC SIG V 6wt I built this week (Titan guides). I put 3 trout in the 26-29" range in the net (I don't know how much biger you're expecting). I haven't used the FT yet, but I can vouch for the SIG V without hesitation.

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 04:10PM

I have the Sig V and like it a lot. I can throw huge clousers and/or sinking tips with ease. Been catching humpies to 6 pounds all day with it for a while now. Also a great trout rod, with many nice dollys and cutts to the bank yesterday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster