I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line Weight / Guide Sizing Question
Posted by: Geoff Roberts (---.wa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 12, 2005 08:00AM

Hey Guys,
I want to build a G Loomis MB783IMX, and an SJR783IMX for casting crankbaits and plastics to Barramundi down here in Australia, i intend on using a thermal filament braided line in the line class of around 20lb with a 40-60lb flurocarbon leader attached.

I have only mucked around with light spin rods of around 1-4lb and the tip sizes and choke guides on these are generally around size 6-7.
Given the heavier line and leader class above, what size do you reckon i should be starting at, i also plan on making these rods as light as possible using only fugi TISIC's in order to make em super sensitive.
Regards
Geoff Roberts
PS.
If any of you guys remember me from around Christmas time 2004 can you get back in touch with me, my computer got sick and i have lost a lot of contacts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line Weight / Guide Sizing Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2005 08:54AM

The large diameter leader and knot will be the thing to watch for here, although it's still going to be quite small compared the actual ring opening of something like a #8 ceramic guide. You won't choke or pinch even 100lb mono in a #6 guide. Not even close.

It's the knot between the line and leader that you have to watch out for. Generally, a #8 ring is more than enough (and in many cases it's way bigger than you actually need) for most applications like this. What you need to do is just try it for yourself and see. You could buy some of the more inexpensive guides in sizes, 6, 7, 8 and 10 and try each set up and see which does the best job for you. Then once you've arrived at the set up you want, go back and order the same frame style but in the more expensive TSCG. Buying those other sizes in hardloy or similar might add $25 to your overall project - a small price to pay in order to get the best performance possible and you'd always have them for future sizing tests on other rods you plan to build.

Re: Line Weight / Guide Sizing Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: July 12, 2005 02:56PM

G'day Geoff,
8 is perfect, the albright and double will pass through without too much trouble. IMX might be over kill, I personally wouldn't use anything more than a GL3. The GL3 CBR756 and MB844 are my prefered blanks for Barra and when using superline I lean more to the CBR756. The 783 might be a little light for barra fishing, as you are well aware where a 2lb barra hides it's bigger sister of 60lbs hides. Mark Fisher (Outback) might be able to help you more.

bearclawrods@iprimus.com.au

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster