I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mfg. service center response to broken rod tip.
Posted by: larry erickson (64.212.141.---)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:40AM

Ouch,

"Larry,

We should be able to make a replacement blank section, but would need the rod sent to us to fit the section. The cost including return shipping is $44.90 We will return the original rod to you.
Thanks, "

Michael Neumann

St. Croix Customer Service
856 4th Avenue North
P.O. Box 279
Park Falls, WI 54552
www.stcroixrods.com

-----Original Message-----
MY distributor cost to me for a whole new rod is $49.00. And I still have to strip the blanks and mail it. What a deal!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mfg. service center response to broken rod tip.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:50AM

You can't expect St. Croix to do this at below their cost. And surely you know they're not making much, if anything, on doing this for you. Was the rod defective or just a break after several years of use? Most companies wouldn't bother making a new section - they'd just sell you whatever model they currently make that is similar.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:51AM

A lot of people buy factory rods. Then after using them for several years break them and try to get a new one with the guarantee. Guarantees are getting bad.

Date: July 11, 2005 11:05AM

I don't think Larry is trying to stiff them on anything and I understand his "amusement" that a replacement part costs what it does. However, if St. Croix has to pull someone off the line to make or even just hand fit a new section, that costs them way more than $50.

We have to remember that in this age of lower priced rods and blanks, some won't be worth repairing. You just buy new and move on. The labor involved in building a lower priced rod or blank is roughly the same as building the higher end models.

Posted by: larry erickson (146.82.10.---)
Date: July 11, 2005 12:58PM

Gentlemen,

This is a brand new rod I'm making for a customer. I caught the tip with my arm and it shattered instantly, 5-1/2" down, between the 1st and 2nd guides.

At $45 to get a new fitted tip plus I have the cost of mailing it and stripping of the guides vs. getting a whole new rod at the dist. for $49 dollar it seems to me the option is obivious. Service "0", new rod "1". I'm not stiffing anyone. I told St. Croix service exactly what happened. On an earlier post 3 replys acclaimed how good the service was and that these folks were sent replacements parts/tips free. I like free too. I use St. Croix almost exclusively, making 50 SC rods in the last 2+ years. This rod blank retails for $110 in St. Croix's catalog. #3F907(2 piece fly rod)

I'm going to get a new replacement rod and just swallow the loss, lick my wounds and move on. Won't even be able to buy some scotch on the monies left since this is my first fly rod and I'm giving the guy a break on labor for the experience and trusting me with the job.

Live and hopefully learn something. :-)

larry

Date: July 11, 2005 01:04PM

I don't think this is any knock on St. Croix service - sounds to me like they're doing all they can for you and a price that doesn't allow them to make anything off the job. Again, was the blank defective or did you just break it? Free is nice, but no company is going to last long sending out free replacements for rods that customers have broken.

If you send the rod back and they examine it and were to determine that it was actually defective somehow, I don't think it would cost you anything other than shipping to get a replacement section.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 07:35PM

A while back I built a two piece casting rod for my fishing pardner. He broke the top piece on a hard hook set. I send the rod to St. Croix. They sent me a replacement for $10 to cover shipping.

Posted by: Anonymous User (163.206.192.---)
Date: July 12, 2005 11:55AM

St. Croix can't make a decision on whether the blank was defective unless you send it in for them to examine. Sounds like even at their replacement cost of $45 for the tip you come out ahead over a new blank considering that IMHO the grip and reel seat may not be recoverable.

In the best case as Tom suggested, they might replace the broken tip section under warranty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster