I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First post: It's official, my wife doesn't like Doc Ski, Tom Kirkman, Dale Clemmons, and @#$%&
Posted by: John Pinson (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 09:50PM

First of all I want to give a huge thanks to everyone involved with making this website happen. I was sent over here by a regular poster and rod builder on the Florida Sportsman forum. I like what I see!!!!!! I have alway been a do it yourselfer and a big investor in custom rods, so I knew this day was coming. I bought Doc Ski's VHS, Dale Clemmons and Tom Kirkmans books. I've read and viewed throughly and I'm HOOKED!!!!

Here's a few questions. What's the easiest way to sneak in rod building supplies into the house without the warden finding out the out of pocket expenses? I'm an avid reloader and I have a mountain of "stuff" in my loading room, so what's the best way to organize a multi-use room? Lastly, What are the feelings about a Rodsmith power wrapper?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First post: It's official, my wife doesn't like Doc Ski, Tom Kirkman, Dale Clemmons, and @#$%&
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 10, 2005 11:00PM

Well you can always try the "Honey look who is sneaking into the neighbors house." The the stuff comes in the back door. It is also easier if you have one of the kids or a neighbor sneak the stuff in while she is looking out the front. I lew of that you can try the old standby "It is keeping me out of the Bars" Problem none of them work more than once or twice before you have to just fess up. If you can get her hooked on fishing then you have a gold card from there on.

I have multiple addictions too. Fly Tying, Making my own lures, and hunting too. I have invested a fortune in Plastic boxes(Plano 2700 enough to build a house with) and Organizers of all shapes and sizes. If you are a good organizer it really comes in handy but you really need to be consistant with it. There are so many types of guides and parts and thread that you need to stay on top of it. I am a neat freak so I can stuff 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag. Good Luck

Sorry I dont know much about the Rodsmith. After wrapping for years on home made wood wheels with ball bearing inserts(which I still have and use occasionally), I then wrapped for over 20 years on a Custom Powerwrap(the least expensive model) and now use a Rensetti because it was a gift. I think it depends on what you have to spend and really wether you need it at this time.

If you ever want to drop me an email, please feel free. I will do my darndest to help.

Doc

Re: First post: It's official, my wife doesn't like Doc Ski, Tom Kirkman, Dale Clemmons, and @#$%&
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.olypen.com)
Date: July 10, 2005 11:35PM

Welcome......you've come to the right place to learn. Your questions answered:
1. You can't sneak it in, she is the only one allowed to sneak purchases into the house. You can surprise her with a custom built rod and if she isn't into fishing, be very dissappointed and tell her it won't go to waste, you'll find a use for it and will think of her every time you use it.
2. Doc has it, lots of boxes and storage containers. The 4 or 5 drawer plastic units on wheels (Office Depot, Staples) work well and fit under a counter.
3. I also own a CPW and forget what it 's like to wrap with anything else, but I think the Rodsmith is as good as the other similar units available from the sponsors.

Just remember the mantra "Hello, my name is John and I'm a rodbuilding addict".

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 12:12AM

I'm also a reloader. My rod working bench is cleaned off frequently to mount the reloaders and get after that business to keep the brass and shot gun shells flying out of the boys' and my guns.

It takes a bit of thought, but I have it set up so my shot gun reloaders are bolted down through the top of the bench. I put some "back-up" nuts that I welded up on the bottom side of the bench top so that bolts go right down through small holes in the top. Makes for a quick set-up.

My rifle reloader is permanently mounted to the far right side of the bench. It's out of my way while rod building, but right there whenever I need it. Some of the cabinets on the wall hold guides and other things for rod building, others hold 40 grain V Max for coyotes and plinking.

The two sports are like one on my bench; it can be done pretty easily, actually.

But there ain't sneakin' nothin' past the warden...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: July 11, 2005 01:40AM

Hey John don't worry about it, I've still got an ALPS decal printer hidden under one of my daughters bed that my wife doesn't know about. But now come to think of it, I think I have hidden more stuff. The rodsmith is fine, I have one myself. In hindsite I should have spent a bit more.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.150.23.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 09:13AM

Well, if it helps,,, my wife works... so I have about 8 1/2hrs. a day to sneak my stash into "THE ROOM" maybe you can do some loading in when she goes to the store or something like that...

Welcome !!!!!! Your gonna love it here.

Tight lines & smokin' drags,

Art

I don't have that problem
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:35AM

But only because my wife buys more fabric and other quilting stuff (including on @#$%&) than I buy rodbuilding and fishing stuff. But our problem is we will go broke twice as fast.

Re: I don't have that problem
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:45AM

If you can print out invoices and put different numbers on them then hide the originals
Then again they always find out ??!!

Re: I don't have that problem
Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 11:05AM

You don't sneek anything in. You can't.
What you can tell her is that there is definetly a market for the products that you are making. Eventually, you get to the point that your neighbor, fishing buddies, family, etc. find out what your hobby is. Sell them custom rods! Don't be afraid to recoop your expenses, plus some. Then, buy your wife something with the money that your "hobby" provided. She, of course, will never know that all of the profit, and then some, has been spent along time ago on more fishing stuff.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.wickliffe.lib.oh.us)
Date: July 11, 2005 11:17AM

It is always nice to see the excitment of a new poster. I can't match that quite as well anymore, but everytime Ray J. or Putter puts a pick of their work up on the photo boards, I think I get close.

As far as sneaking the stuff into the house, you're out of luck...by the time you get everything you need (and want) you'll be pushing someone out of their bedroom. You can't exactly hide that maneuver!

I am with Bill B. going broke twice as fast. At least building rods calms my nerves! hehehehh

Welcome to the board. There is more knowledge here than is good for you....or your marriage for that matter!

Domenic Federico
Inifinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

Defjam@core.com
Infinityrodcreations@yahoo.com

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 11:38AM

Wife: "Where'd all that stuff come from?"

Me: "That stuff? Oh, I've had that for a long time."

Wife: "Oh"

Later........

Me: "Where'd all those clothes come from?"

Wife: "Those? Oh, I've had those for a long time."

Me: "Oh"

{{At my house, we call it retaliatory spending}}

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 02:17PM

Dang, I love this board (retaliatory spending, eh?)...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Paul Williams (63.166.216.---)
Date: July 11, 2005 02:44PM

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HIDE WHAT? FROM WHO? Trust me it ain't going to happen. I just go off the phone with Andy Dear about some blanks he's sending to me. You are not going to hide a delivery that is eight feet long.
But seriously, one of the biggest poisons to our marrages is secrets. At some point they will be known, so let them be known before they become secrets and problems. In the end it just becomes a lie. Don't make excuses for the "hobby", explane the reason for it. It helps you to vent and opens your mind to new ideas; as well as gives you cause to ask others for help.(though this forum) If you explane it to her in a manner such as that, it will just back her thought that we as men don't know everything and need some sort of guidance. In reallity our wives know we are just big kids and must have some thing to keep us preoccupied and out of their hair.
I too am fairly new to this forum and the wounderful people involved with it, but welcome. Your going to love it.

Paul Williams (Paully)
PW Custom Rods

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 11, 2005 06:18PM

Keep the household's financial and time-related responsibilities a priority, and the Mrs. should feel less anxious about the luxury of rod-building when compared to some of the alternatives. Try not to let it take over the entire house, or your every waking thought (LOL!). If the Mrs. doesn't come to understand & accept your excitement about custom rod building, learn not to talk too much to her about it. If you do, she may come to wonder why there ain't more excitement between the two of you (ouch!).

As a "decent & rewarding craft", rod-building is generally a safe and important creative outlet that can be parlayed into a break-even hobby. It is a lot cheaper than psychotherapy or marital counseling or anti-depressants. And it is far less destructive than other emotional diversions, like alcoholism or illicit drugs, or even tobacco smoking. Hopefully, more wives will realize this, and just be glad that their husbands are home and happy. LOL !

Cliff Hall, Gainesville, Florida +++

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 07:03PM

I don't try to hide anything. I was already building rods when I married her in 1980, and already had thousands of dollars in fishing gear in the rods racks/garage.

When she has said anything I mention thatswhat she married into.

Lou

Posted by: jim ellis (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 08:23PM

John,
Most of all you want to watch ALL the "ADVISE" you get on this board. These guys all want you to get hooked. Don't blame me when you are in the 12 step program for rod builders anonymous. Just kidding have fun

Posted by: John Pinson (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:35PM

HAAAA! Great stuff!!!!! Thanks for all the encouragement, anda huge thanks to Doc the trouble maker. I'm very fortunate to have a wife that's an avid big game angler. I like the idea about making a rod for her. I will make my first one for her. She like to girly them up, so the forum should expect future questions like. How can I paint a blank pink or how can I make a butterfly thread inlay?

I need to head to Florida in the morning to help with hurricane relief. Just wanted to post a quick hello. Thanks everyone!!!

Also thanks to Dick Cook for letting me know about Tom Kirkmans hard work on this forum. Tom, beers are on me if our pathes cross.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster