I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

REC Recoil Guides
Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 07:45PM

I was thinking about ordering the REC Recoil Spinning guides and casting guides for a couple of steelhead float rods for myself and I was wondering if anyone has used these guides and can comment on them. They seem like some very light guides and weight especially at the tip is very improtant to me. I will also be using perma gloss on the guide feet. How many coats do you guys reccomend? I usually use about three to four coats and that seems adequate to me but, I just wanted to see what the consensus is here on the board. Thanks for the input. Randy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: REC Recoil Guides
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 08:09PM

Hi Randy,
I just built a spin/fly combo rod using a 4pc. 3-4wt. blank and the REC recoil
spinning & snake guides. Weight was my biggest concern also for the build
and I am not disappointed! I saw a couple of earlier posts where the post-ee
was not happy with the REC recoils but I have had no problems. No vibration
from them when the line is dry and no noise as discribed by the other builder.
I was actually so concerned when I read the earlier post and got the suggestions
from my post on the Spin/Fly rod I was building that after the guides were wrapped
I took the rod out for testing before doing the ferruls and thread coating. I am very
happy with my results and the only change I would make would maybe use a larger
guide for the stripper.

Hope this helps,

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: July 11, 2005 01:15AM

Raymond,

Thanks for the reply, I read the description of the guides on their (REC) website and the guides sounded like a pretty good idea and also the price is just about right. I don't have to spend a ton of money on these guides just so I can have titanium gudes. Otherwise I would have used my old Pac Bay hardloy match guides which are more than adaquate but the REC might be worth a try.

Randy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:55AM

Have you looked at the American Tackle Titans ?

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.wickliffe.lib.oh.us)
Date: July 11, 2005 11:20AM

Randy,

Let me know how those REC guides work out for you. I'll hold off on the build of the blanks we got until you report to me your satisfaction.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

Infinityrodcreations@yahoo.com

Date: July 11, 2005 09:27PM

Bill,

I took a look at the Titans and they aren't what I'm really looking for. In standard guide frames like the Titans I can't justify the price of the Titanium guides along with the SiC rings. For my applications the Hialoy and Hardloy are like I said in my earlier post more than adaquate. If someone who is asking me to build them a rod requests Ti Guides and SiC rings I'll ask them how oftem they fish just because of the price of the guides. Most fishermen are just weekend warriors and they really don't need those guides on the rod. Hardloys should give them a life time of service.

Now back to the REC Recoils. I wanted to get some feed back from other builders on these guides, My funds are quite limited and I wanted to get an idea about how these guides would perform. The lightness of the guides are a big plus and that is one quality I'm looking for. The guides are alos said to take their original shape after repeated deformities and with that said they seem like durable guides. The only thing I'm a little leary on is the absence of guide rings, but then again that all I'm used to seeing.

Domenic,

I'll get back to you when I get a chance to order the guides and I'll let you know how they work. I might write a review on them for Quest after some hard use on the rivers pulling in the Erie silver bullet.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Randy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.96.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 08:37AM

Some thing else is if you go a ring guide try to go an " unplated " frame, less weight.
Forecast has a polished frame in there ceramic guides.

Date: July 12, 2005 12:05PM

Bill,

Thanks for the comments. I've looked at the Batson site a few times but, I'm really considering the RECs. I guess I'm curious on how they'll work out. Who knows, I might really like 'em.

I've made my decision I'm going to order the guides and I'll let you all know how I like them and give a accurate review of the guides for float rod applications.

Randy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.236.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 04:56PM

There are so many options on just guides to choise from
Let us know how they are

Posted by: David Olley (---.onspeed.com)
Date: July 12, 2005 05:50PM

Hi
I have REC recoil guides on a DanCraft 4wt fly rod. I love the lightness and havn't noticed any problems. As others have said, I sometimes get a slight vibration / ringing sound from a dry line (Cortland 555) but this only lasts a few seconds.
David Olley
Scotland

Posted by: Mike Applebee (---.webcelerate.com)
Date: July 12, 2005 09:18PM

I built a 7' St croix SCV spinning rod and used Recoil guides. I am very happy with them and have had no problems at all. I put a ceramic tiptop on and the first guide (the big one) I also used ceramic. I did this because I had heard of all the noise that these guides make when casting. I don't know if the ceramic guides make a difference, but I don't notice any unusually loud noises when casting.

Date: July 12, 2005 09:45PM

Bill,

You're NOT kidding about the amount of options. There are sooooo many that it's hard to choose but, like I said I made my descision and I'm going to order them in the morning . I'll let you know how they work.

Randy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster