I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ferrule cement or 2 part epoxy to attach rod tip
Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 04:23PM

I used ferrule cement on my past rod tips but just read in a book that 2 part epoxy is stronger. Is this true? whaty do you guys use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ferrule cement or 2 part epoxy to attach rod tip
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 04:45PM

I have tried 5-minute epoxy, didn't like it for 2 reasons - 1: it's brittle when it's freezing, 2: I had a hard time removing the tips form the blank.

I use the Flex Coat tip top cement, an that seems to work OK, but I know if it's really hot there is a good chance it will soften & allow the tip top to move.

What I've gone to, and this was given to me by T&A Tackle Shop in Florida, is some honesy colored Hot Melt glue designed for arrowheads. It's very similar to teh FC stuff, but I think it takes a lot more to heat up. It has also held up well in teh colr weather.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2005 05:06PM

I use hot melt glue - archery stuff as Billy mentions. The key to having it hold the top in place is to get it down inside the tip-top tube. There are many ways to do this - I usualy just heat the glue stick until it's almost runny and then push the tip top tube opening into the goo, then withdraw it. This packs adhesive down inside the tube. Then, heat the tip top tube for a few seconds and push it on the blank. I've yet to have one come loose (that I know of) in almost 30 years of doing this, and many rods I've built are continually fished and stored in very hot climates and situations.

If you just put some glue, either type, on the rod blank and slide the top on, most likely you'll just push the adhesive down the blank rather than getting any between the tip top tube and rod blank, which is where it has to be if it's to do you any good.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 10, 2005 05:22PM

I use 5 minute epoxy; I've pounded the ice off of my ice rods at 20 below zero and it's never let go on me once. Works great, easy to use, and I can remove tip tops if need be without damaging the rod blank as long as I'm careful with the heat.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: July 10, 2005 05:24PM

Will the flex coat 2 part epoxy work?. It seems to hold the rod into the unibutt pretty good. Its the regular kind not the 5 minute

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 12:19AM

It will work, but you're going to have trouble lining up that tip top and keeping it in the correct place while the slow-setting stuff is taking forever to completely set. Wal~Mart has a good brand of 5 minute epoxy that I've been using; Liquid Nails Perfect Glue 3.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: July 11, 2005 03:00PM

I used the Flex coat epoxy. At the rod place they gave me this stuff to put in it that makes it thicker so it doesnt run. I mixed it and let it sit till it was get thicker then applied it. The tip moved easily but would stay in the spot you put it at. So that method seemed to work pretty well. You just have to wait a bit for it to set once you have postioned it right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster