I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Oh no- flocking dissapointment
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2005 12:10AM

Put the rear grip and reel seat on a Calstar GX-7 tonight. As I was pushing the grip (flocked with Nylon Royal Blue) down the blank, my thumbnail slipped and scaped the grip, leaving marks/scars. Then, I went to take the excess Rod Bond off from mounting the reel seat with a napkin. It wasn't cutting it, so lightly touched it with the napkin and 70% iso alcohol, which promptly removed some more flock where the alcohol touched it.

I thought these things were more durable than this? Its been a couple of weeks since they were flocked, and looked great till I put it on the rod and screwed it up. I did seal the grip first. Any ideas? Seemed durable enough, but I'm wondering if they scratch/scar this easy now, how are they going to hold up fishing?

I'm wondering if maybe I didn't put the paint on thick enough? I tried to keep it somewhat thin while still getting a wet coat so it didn't run.

Any way to fix this grip? I think I'm going to go ahead and take the reel seat back off for now, leave the drywall tape bushings. Thanks.

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oh no- flocking dissapointment
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2005 09:08AM

They're much more durable than this. Sammy Mickel and myself spent some time not long ago trying to rake off flock with our thumbnails. We couldn't do it. They're tough. Very tough.

Did you read the article on flocking in RodMaker? It doesn't sound like you did. The adhesive must be put on thick, very thick. Nowhere in the article does it recommend putting the adhesive on thinly - in fact it clearly states that you need a thick application in order for the adhesive to really get a good hold on the flocking material.

Sorry you had some bad luck there, but it appears that it was your fault and not that of the flocking. You may be able to sand what you have off and start over. It's worth a shot.

Date: July 10, 2005 09:56AM

Ok. Well shoot. Somehow I missed that in the article, I've read it several times. I put the flock on very thickly, the first grip I did I got a drip in it so I thought I put it on too thick.

Thanks, will try again.
Phil

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 10, 2005 10:26AM

Just curious - when you said my fingernail slipped and I removed some of the flock - did you mean you saw some flock on your fingers or did you actually scrape an area on the grip clean of the flocked surface. If the flock is on correctly there will be a lot of loose fibers laying on the surface that will come off. I am letting mine sit for about a week and then I wrap with some masking tape to take off all the excess material that is not bonded. I do this two three times to insure that all of the loose material is removed. If you do not do this someone will think that the stuff is coming off. I can not imagine scraping off any of the adhered flock with a fingernail.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2005 10:29AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: July 10, 2005 11:22AM

No, it scraped off the adhered flock. I must not have put the stuff on thick enough. I was wondering before when I used my whole bag of flock and didn't even use a quarter of a can of paint. I'll try to take the stuff off and redo it.

Phil

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2005 02:00PM

I've found that the foam type paint brushes are excellent for applying the adhesive. Put in on heavy just as if you were going for a high build look with epoxy rod finish. Turn and spin the grip for a minute or so once you've applied it to let it smooth and level. Unless you've gone much, much too heavy with it, you shouldn't have to worry about runs or sags.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.lndnnh.adelphia.n)
Date: July 10, 2005 08:33PM

i had the same problem with cleaning off the rod bond with denatured alcohol. i haven't had the flock scrape off but when trying to clean off the extra rod bond it took the flock with it, the grip had been drying for 4 days. how do you get the rod bond off the grip? anyone having the similar problems? thanks.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 09:36PM

I would suggest not getting rodbond on the grip in the first place. Tape off the edges or clean the extra rodbond off before you shove the grip home. Always better to prevent a problem than to try and fix one after the fact. I don't even get epoxy on my naked cork or foam grips let alone the few that I've flocked.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: July 10, 2005 10:01PM

Be more careful Aye. The Iso alcohol is working fine for taking the rest of the flock off, a little time and I'll be able to give it a light sanding to get it ready to try again. Bad thing is I've got 1 tube full of flock left and not really enough time to order more before I leave for Japan on the 17th.

Phil

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 04:23PM

One more question: Are you recovering the flock that does not stick to the work piece. I find that there is enough flock in a package to do several grips. I work with the work piece installed in a plastic garbage can with a 13 gallon plasitc bag liner. I have lost very little flock using this method which was described in Rodmaker. If you do not have enough for a tube refill you may run short - you may not have time to empty the bag back into the cannister before the resin sets. Good luck.

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster