I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

opinions on Dan Craft Blanks
Posted by: Dave Albright (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 04:03PM

I just finished a 9' 7 wgt .on an all american elite series blank. It's an excellent blank and produced
a terrific casting machine !

Unfortunately these blanks are no longer available ,(at least as far as I know).

I'm considering a 8'9' or 9' 4 or 5 wgt for my next project.. I've read that Dan Craft produces a very nice and good performing blank I'm thinking about the five rivers series .

I'd like to hear some experinces and opinions on these blanks. And what's this "exploded ferrule about?

Thanks for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: opinions on Dan Craft Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2005 04:22PM

Just do a search here and you'll turn up dozens and dozens of opinions on those very blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: July 09, 2005 04:50PM

Mudhole still has Am Tack Elites as far as I know and their website shows them. Dan's blanks are awesome, haven't ever done business with him that I didn't feel that I always got the best end of the deal.

Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.91.---)
Date: July 09, 2005 04:50PM

Dave,

I've got two Dan Craft fast taper blanks, a four piece 3wt and the four piece 8wt...

finished building the 3wt a couple of months ago. Here is the building progress in images...

[www.mind.net]

I'm no judge on fly blanks only just began fly casting this year.

but i must say this little 3 wt is FUN!

these particular blanks are a bargain in my opinion...

I went the distance and put rather expensive fuji single foot SIC guides on the 3 wt and do not regret it one bit.

plan on doing the same with the 8 wt this fall when i complete construction just in time for some winter steelhead fishing...

cheers!

tws

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 07:30PM

I bought Dan's 8'6" FT 3wt with intent to fish it with a four weight double taper (mostly with dry flies) and am enjoying the rod a lot. It's filling the slot that I built it for. While reviving a recently landed trout my fishing partner took my FT out into the current to cast to a rising trout. After a few casts he turned and said "This rod casts effortlessly". He's right, with a flick of the wrist the line shoots forward.

Just received the 9'0" FT 4wt with intent to build and fish as a five weight.

I have no experience with Dan's other blanks.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Andrew Toynbee (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 08:56PM

Marc and Jeff,

Where did you end up placing the guides? I am just getting ready to build this rod (FT 8'6" 3wt 4 pc) and am looking for a starting point for static placement testing.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Toynbee

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.158.---)
Date: July 09, 2005 09:56PM

Dave-- sent you an email.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 11:01PM

Andrew,
I sent you an email with Dan's recommendations, and the placements I used to accommodate the ferrules.

Jeff

Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.91.---)
Date: July 10, 2005 12:22PM

Andrew,

I recall using the St. Croix guide spacing for light fly rods…
a total of nine guides not counting the tiptop.

8'6"

4.875-10.375-17.375-25.125-33.125-41.625-50.875-60.875-71.875

seems to be perfect.

btw, I'm using a WF and DT number 4 flyline on this blank... got a good deal on a #4 reel with several sets of fly line.

good luck with your project.

tws

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster