I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracking epoxy and water under the finish-factory rods-why less?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 08, 2005 10:40PM

I've been looking at a few used factory rods as of late and I can't help but notice the guide feet cracking the epoxy at the foot and base of each guide. Lack of flex in the epoxy is causing it, along with maybe too little finish.

Now.....I continue to read here about how little and how THIN rodbuilders like to make their epoxy over the wrappings. Why? Are looks more important than function? Shouldn't we put function first and apply enough epoxy to last years?

I can understand the rod makers trying to save every penny by using less finish on wrappings, but should we?

I also seen a rod that was "taking on water" under the fatory butt wrap and EVERY guide-raining all day. I don't want to "bash" the maker, but lets just say it was a $150+ factory rod by one of the big two. The rod wasn't that old at ALL, or overly used. You could litterly peal off the buttwrap epoxy almost like it were masking tape.

When is less epoxy bad, or good-pros and cons of each finish, thick or thin?

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracking epoxy and water under the finish-factory rods-why less?
Posted by: kim nordblad (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: July 09, 2005 02:42AM

less finish = less weight = better performance.
The finish dont crack that easy if the guidefeets are properly prepared.
The cracking has more to do with the fact that the rodblank bends and the guidefoot dont.
Thanks
-Kim-

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 02:44AM

Dr, Cracking can be caused by a number of conditions. Thinly-applied finish is normally not one of them. Cracking is typically caused by poor guide foot preparation, at least in my experience.
The suppleness of finish does not change relative to the thickness, therefore it makes no difference how thick or thin a finish is in relation to flexing.

Patrick Vernacchio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2005 02:45AM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 07:14AM

One thing, the epoxy doesn't do anything but cover up the thread to protect it. As long as there is enough epoxy on there should not be any problems with water getting in. As for the cracking around the guides, preparing them correctly will make all the difference and make sure your thread tension is good. Knew of one person that had problems because his thread was loose and he thought the epoxy would hold everything in place. It is the thread that holds the guide securely in place, the epoxy just protects the thread.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2005 08:36AM

That cracking is not caused by lack of flex in the epoxy, it's caused by the fact that metal guide feet and graphite or glass rod blanks flex at different rates. They aren't going to move together when flexed - something has to give. This is why it's important to grind or file the guide foot end to a very shallow taper - to make it more flexible.

Generally, commercially made rods have far too much epoxy on the wraps. They glob it on and set it to spinning and move on to the next rod. They can't afford to spend much time on each wrap or each rod.

It's not so much about how much epoxy you apply, but where you apply it. At least if you want to seal out the elements.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.89.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 10:03AM

Like Tom says they don't have much time. I would think the guides are not preped well either.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 07:23PM

Interesting.

This cracking happened on both ends of the guide feet on spinning gear on two rods I seen. Looks like the guide feet were too ridgid and didn't bend with the blank, so what you have is cracking at the TIP of the guide foot and at the back of the guide foot where you want epoxy to get under the wrappings.

I can see by looking at these rods, where a thin bendable titanium guide foot would be of use, or thinning the guide foot down thin enough to bend with the rod and prevent the cracking.

Moisture under guide feet is not a bad thing with water getting under it?......seems to me it destroys the epoxy over time and the evidence was substancial. Or are you saying putting "enough" on will/should have sealed out the water and that would have prevented the problem-that I agree on.

Many factory rodmakers are bringing the finish TO the ends of the wraps and NO more, I think that is where the failure is starting.

DR

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 10:27PM

Onvce teh epoxy cracks, the guide will start to discolor/rust. Who gives a crap about teh epoxy? I should add I fish 99% Saltwater.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2005 11:13PM

Guide technology has not kept pace with rod blank technology. Metal framed guides should have been obsolete long ago.

It's important to carry the epoxy just past the edge of the guide wraps to seal them as well as possible. Once a deep crack develops in the skin of the finish over the foot, the guide will eventually begin to rust. This is much more severe in saltwater use.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 11:25PM

Regardless of the hows and whys? Would not an additional coat of epoxy
to the effected areas fix the problem at least for a while?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 09:06AM

No, the epoxy cracked for a reason - putting another coat on will temporarily cover teh crack, but not fix the cause for it cracking in the first place.

I found on my rods, some of the guides which cracked the quickest were those with inlays in the overwrap, right up the ramp of the guide. My guess is the change in tension between the main thread, and the inlay do not securely hold the guide in place.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.pdx.or.uspops.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 11:18AM

I outwrap for several rod makers and one of the big ones, I won't mention who, doesn't grind any guides with a ring size 8 or lower. They don't grind any recoil guides of any size. I ended up grinding the guides that I did for them, but other outwrappers just wrap them as they are.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 11:28AM

Perhaps that's why the epoxy cracks ??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster