I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Measuring winding check size
Posted by: Eijiro Kawada (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 10:07PM

I’m an amateur fly-rod builder who builds only a few rods a year, so I don’t have a huge inventory of rod building parts in my drawers. I usually order items online as needed since the closest shop with sufficient rod building parts is more than an hour-drive away. On weekends when I have time to drive to the shops, I would rather be fishing.
One frustration that I always face is figuring out the size of winding checks I need. I always end up putting the reel seat and grip on the blank, and have to take that to a shop to get the correct size winding check.
Or, I could measure the diameter of the blank after assembling the reel seat and grip, and order it online. But then, I’ll have to pay $8-$10 for shipping when I only need a winding check, which is $2-$3.
I would love to be able to order a correct winding check when I order a reel seat, grip, guides and other things.
Any ideas? Can I do away without it? What does a winding check do anyway?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Measuring winding check size
Posted by: Magnus Högberg (---.handelsbanken.se)
Date: July 07, 2005 03:23AM

I've got the same building freuency as you so i'm familiar with your dilemma.
The retailers i buy from have no problem exchanging small things as guides and WC's if you just send them the WC and includes an envelope with address and postage payed for. I usually give them a call beforehand.

This probably depends on where you buy your stuff.

//Magnus

Posted by: Paul Dowden (141.197.12.---)
Date: July 07, 2005 08:19AM

Try using math. Here is what to do:

Diameter at winding check = (X(B-T)/L)+T

B = OD at butt
T = OD at tip
L = Length of rod
X = Length from tip to winding check location

In words... Subtract the tip OD from the butt OD. Multiply by distance from tip. Divide by total length. Add OD at tip.

This should get you close enough.

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 07, 2005 11:29AM

Eijiro,

Yes I can relate to your frustration, but it can be cheaper and more time productive to order maybe two or three winding checks to get the right fit. If you have access to a digital vernier or a std one inch micrometer then it should be easey enough to give exact dimensions to your supplier.
You ask what is the purpose of winding checks. Well mostly they are there to cover up/ tidy up the ends of foregrips. Many builders ream out their say pr -made fly rod handles and they get bigger holes at the top end of the grip than the OD of the blank. This looks plain ugly so a well sized and chosen winding check covers up this kind of goof. Even if the fit is perfect they can add a lot of asthetic value to a finished rods appearence. They can also if badly chosen in terms of material and size look absolutaly awful to. It's a question of horses for courses. You could consider using a thread winding check, but be careful not to let the high build finish wick up the end of the grip. That does look bad. It's what I use on my salt water fly rods as I no one as yet ismaking Titanium winding checks and I don't want corroding checks on my sticks. I dont like the rubber or plastic variaties. But that is purley a question of preference.

If you cant get hold of a vernier or mic then use a decent steel rule and give dimension in fractions of an inch. IF you tyhen order three checks that bracket either side of the rough dimension yopu will be close. Saves having to wait around or spend time sending back low value items.

Hope you get it sorted ok.

Regards

MIke OLiver

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 07, 2005 05:06PM

Mike - you can get Fuji Titanium Winding checks from Japan. At least they are in the Fuji Japan catalouge, but that doesn't mean they are actually available.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 06:53PM

Maybe one of these will help [shop.mudhole.com]

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 08, 2005 10:54AM

Billy and Bill,

Thanks. I had to Laugh as usual at your post Billy. I know exactally what you mean when you talk about products in a catalogue but that don't mean they have necassarily ever been made or even released to production. Right now I have $1500 worth of surf rods decked out in Titanium Fuji running guides and awaiting their T tip rings. Sure are in the catalogue but boy I reckon they are virtual rings. If I don't get em soon my virtual customers are going to loose patience. It's a great hobby this.

Cheers

Mike O

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster