I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Idea for bay/flats spinning rod
Posted by: John Richardson (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 01:15PM

I just got back from the Florida Panhandle and was able to do a little bit of fishing for trout and redfish while there. The trip got me to thinking about building a spinning rod to use for in-shore/flats/bay fishing. My fly casting style needs some work and while I love fly fishing, I really love being able to catch fish.<g>

Is there any reason that a salmon/steelhead blank like the Forecast/Rainshadow IST1024F wouldn't work just fine for this? It is a medium-fast blank intended for 8-12 lb test line and 3/8 to 3/4 oz. lures. I like the fact that it is two piece and would think that the extra length would give some extra casting distance.

Am I off base on my assumptions about a spinning rod for light saltwater fishing using a salmon/steelhead blank?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

-John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Idea for bay/flats spinning rod
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 01:41PM

No reason it wouldn't work at all. I've used some light salmon/steelhead blanks for flats fishing myself. I don't do it all the time because I prefer the shorter 7 foot popping blanks that are out there as I like to fish jigs as much as shrimp. If I were only fishing shrimp under a cork, the longer 8 foot blanks would probably be perfect.

Phil

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 03:16PM

I use the Rainshadow IP904 - 7'6" , IP842, 843 - 7' for inshore casting and spinning rods. These things are the ticket for trout and reds in the marsh and bays. If you can find some of the older blanks suck them up and hold on!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: John Boatwright (38.113.131.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 04:57PM

You might also consider how you plan on using the rod, ie., out of a boat or wading. Down here (TX coast), many find the most comfortable casting rod length for wading is 6' 6", with a shorter rear handle, something like 6" - 7" vs. 8" or 9". For a spinning rod, I think the longest I'd want would be 7' if I were wading. Fishing from a boat would be different. In either style (casting or spinning), I think you can comfortably use a longer rod.

Another thing to consider is the type of bait or lure you'll be using. For example, my favorite rod for free-lining shrimp out of a boat is a 7' 6" casting rod. On the other hand, when wading and switching between topwaters and soft plastics, the above-mentioned 6' 6" casting rod with a medium-light, "tippy" action works best for me.

Hope these thoughts are helpful...

JBB

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:30PM

John R,
Are you implying that you don't catch fish with a fly rod (lol)? Seriously, I go along with what John B. has stated. For wade fishing or fishing out of a kayak, I too prefer a 6'6" spinning or casting rod with a short handle. I can work a topwater lure a lot better with a medium powered rod and fast tip. I have even gone to an extra fast tip like the St. Croix. For free lining shrimp a 7 to 7'6" rod is just fine. As a matter of fact, I fished this past Saturday out of my yak and used a 7' Batson for free lining shrimp and I didn't catch any fish either John R.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Barry White (---.ftl.fdn.com)
Date: July 08, 2005 11:16AM

I'm in the process of building rods for my sons with the Rainshadow steelhead blanks for use on the flats. I'm using the 1024 for a spinning rod and the 1025 for a casting rod. I think they will be perfect for casting walk-the-dog plugs and jerk baits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster