I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tom kirkmam
Posted by: bill cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 08:54AM

Tom I have read in several comments you made on using too large a guide when it wasn't necessary. This was in regard to fly rod building, and I agree. Please tell us what would be the smallest guide you would use on an 8 or nine wtg fly rod.Would appreciate 5 wt.and 2 weight too. Cermanic type guides please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tom kirkmam
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:06AM

For future reference, don't single out one person when asking a question like this, use a Title such as guides for 8wt fly rod or something - more people will give you an answer, and you don't put pressure on Tom to respond.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2005 10:03AM

I would use the smallest guides that will get the job done. Sorry if that's not the answer you're looking for - but only you know what size lines and connections you need to pass through the guides on your particular set-up. What I use and what you use may be two entirely different set ups.

And Billy's correct - by putting my name up there, you may be cheating yourself out of helpful info others might give you if this was addresses as a general question to the forum at large. No big deal, but you'll get more info if you just post to the forum at large. Plenty of knowledgeable rod builders here.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 10:48AM

Bill,
Just to give you some idea, I built a 9 wt. Lamiglas Perigee and used 8's for the running guides. These guides will pass the loop to loop connections on the multi-tip flyline I use on it. If I'm using a standard WF or DT flyline with no connections but leader knots, I use 6's for the running guides on 2-7 wt rods. I think 5's are available from some manufacturers, but my old eyes don't want to work with anything smaller than 6's. As Tom said, it strictly depends on what size knots the guides need to pass.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 11:26AM

Bill,

I've been advised on my 9' 4wt, from what seems to be a pretty knowledgeable fellow to use #6 ceramics which I think equates to a #1 wire snake guide. He has already done it and states he knows for a fact it works good. He stated if he had had some 5.5's he would have even gone down to that.....and that may be his next try. So, icw sizes....on a 4wt apparently #6 ceramic is good. (BTW I don't know if this works on loop to loop connections but I have no intention of using loop to loop anyway, that might be an issue for you.....I dunno)

Just FYi

Gem

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 01:02PM

Bill

As a general rule most builders like to design using the samllest guides that get the job done efficiently. Now in my view I think that some builders go too far ie too small. The weight difference is not that great with quality ceramics and I would personally always opt for good line flow over any small gain in weight reduction. Very small rings do have a chiocking effect on line flow. Fly lines are not perfect in form by that what I mean is that they get a bit knarled up say when they have been figured of eighted on the retrieve. This makes for less easy passagf through the guides. So to your specif rod weights. For the 8 and 9 wt my choice for the smallest running guide would be a size 8. This is a Fuji size 8. You could probably get away with a size 7 on the 8 wt with or without decent tied loops. The 2 wt and 5 wt I would probably not go less than a size 6 which is still a very light and not overly large guide. Many may disagree but I find small ceramics don't allow good passage of eithjer DT or WF lines through them. They look very nice on the rod granted but as always with me I am looking at the performance aspect first. Sligtly too big I think is better than slightly too small.

Regards

Mike O.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 01:47PM

Understand what your saying Mike. I never tried experimenting but alwas wondered about say the St Croix factory rods having single foot wire and casting well and the ID's of them compared to the ID's of ceramics.
With the Titan guides one could put larger ring sizes on and still have a light weight guide.

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 07, 2005 10:26AM

Yes I agree Bill. If I could buy wire guides that had the same wearing properties as ceramic I would use them in preference. Most of my fly fishing these days is done in saltwater and plated steel guides for me just don't cut it in the corrosion department. The only ones to stand up to that side of things have been for me the Fuji titanium T SG. Ruiniously expensive I know but once fitted I can forget them unless I bash one or two on the rocks. Not so good on my feet these days.

Regards

Mike OLiver

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 10:36AM

Fuji does have nice stuff - also prices ?? Titans might ease your pain
Salt and platting don't mix. Forecast makes a polished frame guide no plating ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster