I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

just starting
Posted by: Luis Villarreal (208.209.117.---)
Date: July 05, 2005 07:00PM

I wrote to you guys and didnt use my last name sorry. I'm just getting started and I am trying to find good and cheap rod blanks and supplies. I also want to know all about it. We have noone that builds rod in the area. if you guys/gals have any advice for me I'd love it. Thanx

Luis Villarreal
TEXAS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: just starting
Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: July 05, 2005 07:44PM

you can learn just about all you need from reading the archive of this web site, as well as posting questions. i'd suggest doing a search first or at least following along for a week or two. most questions regarding starting this craft are posted repeatedly and you can learn a lot from just following the discussion.

it wasn't until several months down the road did i learn of a cool rod builder an hour from my home... keep an eye out, i bet you'll might find someone at some point.

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2005 07:45PM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 07:54PM

I would strongly suggest that the first thing that you do is go to the top of this page and go through the FAQ's, Glossary and Articles sections, then look at the Photo Page to really get your mouth watering!! Next I would pick up a copy of Tom Kirkman's Rodbuilders Guide from a sponsor to the left. It's the best thing available to help you get started. Don't forget you subscription to Rodmaker magazine.

I would go to some of the vendors to the left and request catalogs. Mudhole has one of the biggest and comprehensive, as well as informative, catalogs in the business.

"Good and Cheap" blanks is to general of a creature. It depends on what you want to build. There are many quality blanks available at a wide range of prices but you need to get pretty specific about the type rod you want and how it will be used!

You can also use the SEARCH feature on this site and type in a subject, word, etc. and have access to 10's of 1,000's of post (ALL posts are archived and can be looked up.

I'm sure you will probably here from some of the Texas folks as there are probably more builders in Texas than anywhere else

Mike

Date: July 05, 2005 07:55PM

Thanx I'll try that

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 08:15PM

Remember that there is a directory on this site with Texas rod builders listed. You might find somebody in your local area to help you get started.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 08:24PM

Ditto,
Also, you could email me if you like.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 10:00PM

Luis, what part of Texas?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: July 05, 2005 11:42PM

Rio Grande City in the RioGrande Valley local Lake Falcon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster