I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gatti blanks
Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: July 05, 2005 01:09PM

I'm thinking of going higher than my usual blank level for my next few rods. I have read about the Gatti blanks and been to their web site. They look exceptional, but why wouldn't they look so from the manufacturer and the distributor? Has anybody had experiences, good or bad, with this line of blanks? And -- can o' worms here -- does anybody have a recommendation for a very top graphite blank, 8.5 to 9 ft, 4 wt., fast action (but not extremely fast) as an alternative to Gatti?

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gatti blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2005 01:46PM

How fast? If you had some idea of the AA you're after, that would make it easier. Too very fast action, light tipped blanks can be found in the St. Croix SCV and many of Dan Crafts models. But I don't know exactly what you're after when you say, fast but not too fast. How much is "too fast?"

Mud Hole carries the Gatti line of blanks. I'm sure someone here will chime in and let you know of their experiences with these blanks.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.state.nm.us)
Date: July 05, 2005 04:58PM

Hi Tom,

What's "AA"? I wish there was a standard for describing rod action (or if there is, one that I knew about). I just don't want anything lightning fast, i.e., up in the tip, throwing very narrow loops. My favorite actions are between what are generally as between fast and medium-fast. Dan Craft's Signature V is very close to ideal, maybe just a hair fast.

Jim

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 05:59PM

I haven't built on any of gatti's blanks though I plan to try out the FRLW soon. I do own 3 Gatti rods. I have a FRHP 8'6" 3 piece 4/5 wt that is absolutely the best rod I've ever fished with. When I first lawn cast it I didn't like it but on the river it really comes to life. It is very fast and dampens instantly but it's not all tip action and it roll casts beautifully too. In hand it's the lightest rod I've ever picked up. I've heard about it breaking for some people but I've fished mine hard (even banged it around a bit) and have not had a problem. I fish it with a TT4 wt. which works best for me but I've also used a GPX WF5 (which is almost a 6) and it handled it fine. It feels like an extension of my arm now and is the rod I use for medium to large rivers and stillwater. It fishes really well for me up close but for my local creek I want to use a smaller 2 wt. That's why my eye is on the FRLW!

Dan Craft has 8'4" and a 8'9" 4wt signature V blanks that has gotten rave reviews around here. I'm putting together the 8'9" model right now. So far it seems to have a very similar action to the Gatti FRHP and though it is lighter than most blanks, the Gatti is still lighter. At 1/3 the price I'd give it serious consideration.

If you want common sense numbers for the Gatti, contact Christian at cbrink@brinkrods.com He builds Gatti rods professionally and has done extensive testing on them.

Tony

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2005 07:46PM

There is an across the board standard, the Common Sense Action Angle (AA). You can put a number on action and you have so much more resolution than just the old three of Fast, Medium and Slow. Now we've got 90 individual degrees to work with. And because it's totally objective and simply measures the angle of the tip at a predescribed amount of flex, you can make truly relative comparisons between the actions of different blanks.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 08:17PM

I have built two Gatti rods. Nice enough but not exactly what I was after. I much prefer the STCroix SCIV and some of the Shikari models. Less money and equally good if not better IMO.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 10:12PM

Ken, which Gatti blanks have you built on? They make several models which vary greatly in action. I have a FR3Pa that is labeled "progressive action" that is very soft in the butt section and nothing like the fast action FRHP. I also have an FRC which lies somewhere in between. The FR3PA and the FRC are okay but nothing special in my opinion. The FRHP is different story. It's an amazing fishing rod for those that prefer a fast action rod. I'll take it over a Sage or Loomis without a second thought. Unlike Sage and Loomis and the other big names, Gatti doesn't spend the big bucks on advertising and so is a bit less expensive.

I also own a 2005' 9' 5wt 4 pc St Croix SC IV with IPC technology. It seems to be a very popular rod. I don't see why. It's a brand new factory replacement for a rod that I sent back because it was so tip heavy that I thought it must be a mislabled 7 wt. My Shoulder and arm hurt after a morning of fishing.The replacement feels slightly better. It does look nice. Cast once, never fished, I'd trade the rod and case for a Dan Craft blank.

Tony

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 10:46AM

Tony,

E-mailed you right after your post. Please check mail.

Thanks.
Mo

Posted by: Gary Mattila (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 12:09AM

I have built a few fly rods on Gatti blanks and have never been disappointed with the exception of the last one which was an FR 865TA. This is an 8'6" 4 wt. 2 pc. blank and it broke in 2 locations above the ferrule while test casting it. The company replaced the blank without any problems although it took quite a long time as it came from Italy. When they sent me the new blank they also returned the broken section and since it was already worthless, I decided to see if it was as brittle as it appeared. After very little bending pressure the balance of the blank broke into 3 pieces simultainuosly and ALL the breaks were 100% clean with no signs of splintering. I and everyone whom has test casted this rod absolutely loves the ultra light weight and semi-fast action, but I cannot believe that this particular rod is durable enough for your average fishing bum. I wish I could find another blank that weighs and performs like this one, but with a higher level of durability.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster