I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calstar
Posted by: Jimi Ellis- Decal Connection Inc /Sou (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2005 08:51AM

We have been asked by the owner of Calstar Rods to not produce decals with their name on them. This decision was made by them because of their own policy.
Please understand that this was not our decision.

Jimi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calstar
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 04, 2005 09:23AM

I can understand completely why they do not want anyone making their decals. I can't really imagine anyone being upset over this. Counterfitting is not too high on my list either.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (66.98.130.---)
Date: July 04, 2005 09:37AM

I cannot believe that any other rod manufacturer would allow you to make decals with their name or logo on them either. That would be insane on their part.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.220.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 04, 2005 09:39AM

If ya think about it - with the printers out to day, any one can print out an Invoice, fill in the numbers, and send it to a decal maker and say they ruined the one that came with it ?

Even make there own ?? Locks are only to keep honest people honest ???

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 04, 2005 12:20PM

I have seen several counterfiet Calstars out here and it is pretty sad when you think of how hard Leon and his people worked to get such a great reputation for their product. Like Ken says who could be upset over this decision.

Other than someone counterfieting.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2005 02:34PM

This is the single most important reason why Loomis pulled the GLX blanks off the market awhile back. Counterfiets. It's just too easy to make a decal on a home computer these days and then build a rod with similar components and pass it off as the real thing to an unwary fishing public. And it's a problem that is growing worse.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 04, 2005 04:57PM

I can understand Calstar's decision and agree with it. I've built some off shore rods using their blanks and have been very satisfied with the performance of them. Who could blame'em for doing it? Also, one way to kinda put a wrinkle in a counterfieter's plan is to buy only from a reputable dealer. I dern sure don't buy blanks off @#$%&.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: July 04, 2005 06:20PM

I hate to be the lone man out, but I think it's and really irks me. Especially since I've found Decal Connection, I'm trying to get the Make/Model number and rod stats done up for all of the rods I'm building, as well as some that I have that need to be rebuilt, and I have a Calstar GX-7 at home that I was getting ready to order the decal for.

What's the difference if I hand write the number in, or if it's done up and looks nice on a decal? It doesn't have anything to do with warranty, because Calstar doesn't provide decals with their blanks. I purchased mine from a reputable dealer, it has the Calstar decal on the butt of the blank, which is useless except to get covered up by a grip.

Yes, its unfortunate there are counterfeiters out there, but if I have the actual sticker off my blank and could trade it for one decal, why can't I? I can buy an Alps printer and make my own labels, I can write my own labels, but I can't order them from a dealer who's product I truly enjoy using. It really. The people counterfeiting the stuff will just go about other ways to do their business and those who are legit suffer from it.

Sorry, but I feel pretty strongly about this. Its dissapointing to me, especially if other blank companies follow suit. If they started including decals with their blanks, I probably wouldn't mind so much, since I use the St Croix/Graphite USA decals that I get with model info.

Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2005 10:15PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Andy Woodford (---.sdnglobal.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 08:28AM

I could understand it if Calstar blanks were always shipped with a Calstar sticker. I've bought several Calstar blanks from Mudhole and none have come with a Calstar decal. When I enquired about this I was told that the blanks were not supplied with one.

Does this mean that Calstar decals are only for use on their factory produced rods, and not for use on custom made blanks?

As I say I've built up quite a few different Calstar blanks and think that they are great, but it would be nice to stick on a decal and let everyone else know that the great rod that my customer is using is a Calstar.

Just my five cents worth.

Cheers

Andy Woodford

Date: July 05, 2005 10:57AM

You can certainly label the rod with the Calstar name, but you cannot duplicate their company logo or typeface when you do so. That's what they're trying to prevent - rods being built and mistaken or implied as being Calstar factory models.

Posted by: Noel Spann (198.214.51.---)
Date: July 05, 2005 11:14AM

I had the same concern as Andy did. I dont use Calstar blanks but use others that dont come with decals either and was wondering if I could still get a decal for these. I was under the impression I couldn't when Jimi said "We have been asked by the owner of Calstar Rods to not produce decals with their name on them." But it sounds as if I can get the name but not a reproduction of their logo which is understandable and fine by me. Good deal.
Noel

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 06:10PM

I'll have to get clarification from D.C. on this.... I was under the same impression as Noel, Jimi's post sounds like Calstar doesn't want there names on a decal, period.

I don't want to copy their logo or typeface, I just want to label my rods as what they are, as well as who they are built for. Kill two birds in one decal.

Phil

Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.252.251.231.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 06:32PM

This isn't the first time this issue has come up and it was a source of irritation for me as well. I do only s/w rods and LOVE Calstar blanks esp. the GF's I also like to identify the make, model and line rating in the butt wrap area on all the rods I build. Unfortunately, Calstar doesn't supply any decals with their blanks. Although I understand the counterfeiting issue, it seems to me St Croix has come up with the perfect solution for custom builders with the decals they supply with their blanks. No factory look-a-like logo, just a plain vanilla decal that identifies make, model, & line rating info. Maybe St. Croix has recognized who buys their blanks and does a better job of target marketing to the hobbyist & custom rod building industry (with their catalogs., kits, etc.) ? I'm sure if enough people make an issue of it, Calstar can come up with something to keep everyone happy.

Date: July 05, 2005 10:28PM

Neither Calstar nor any other company can stop you or prosecute you for putting their name on a blank, or anything else for that matter. But they can do so if you copy and use any copyrighted material (in some cases, that may be the name itself but in most it's the particular logo).

I would think that Jimi at Decal Connection would simply prefer to stay out of the fray and remain on good terms with everyone involved and that's why he won't make such decals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster