I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite USA
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 02:03AM

Has any one used the Graphite USA blanks and had them painted?
How was the paint job? Did it hold up?
Thanks guys Looking at there cobolt blue

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite USA
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: July 02, 2005 09:20AM

I bought a graphite U.S.A 6ft light action blank in that same color, cobolt blue. The blue is a very dark blue that in low light conditions looks black, when it gets in the light you can really see the dark metallic blue color. The paint job is done very well and I did not see any runs, dust particles, or other paint defects in the paint job. The only problem I saw was that the tip of the rod did not get painted all the way up to the top. This is the area where the tip would be laying on a rod support. Must of it was covered up by the rod tip the other part (about a 1/16 inch) was covered with a small trim wrap. I felt it was worth the extra money and the rod looked excellent with the purple, metallic blue, silver marbel job I put on it. Beware sometimes the custom painted blank can be backordered for a while. Mine took 2 and 1/2 months to get in.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.201.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 09:44AM

Dan
2 1/2 months?? Mudhole advertises them. I wonder what kind of work, or if they do it at there place in Florida? Should give them a call.

Got some 2 part urethane and should pratice more on tinting it. Did it a few times and was not happy with it. Don't need paint and clear on the living room rug

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: July 02, 2005 10:21AM

From what I understand G.U.S.A is the group that does the color change. It could have been that the blank was just not available so I was waiting on the blank but it did take 2 1/2 months to get it. I also ordered from Mudhole. I forgot to mention that the paint job is holding up well. I fish hard and I am not the most cautious with rods and the paint still is holding up after a year and a half.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: July 02, 2005 11:00AM

Bill,

I bought a purple blank from them last year. It was beautiful. The GUSA folks are excellent people to deal with. I had a somewhat unusual situation and I called the GUSA folks directly. Since the particular blank I wanted was actually in stock at the factory, I had it in a just a few days. I was luckly in that the model and color was available and they didn't have to wait for the next run to enable them to complete my order. I've bought a number of their blanks since and have not been dissappointed with the speed of delivery or the quality (or color) of their product.

If I recall, there was a post on this board recently announcing that they were relocating their manufacturing center. I imagine that the move may have a temporary impact on their ability to deliver on special orders but from my experience, the wait for a blank is not too long.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: July 02, 2005 11:39AM

Probably going to be waiting awhile as they are moving operations to Arizona as mentioned above. Mudhole stocks some G-USA, but only in the standard colors. They backorder the rest from G-USA.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 05, 2005 09:26AM

If you order directly from GUSA, there is no charge for painting the blank. If you order from GUSA right now, you will be waiting an awfully long time for the blanks to be shipped, I've been waiting since teh first week in February for 14 blanks. They did ship the first 22 blanks in my order within a month, but since then it's been a LOOOOOOONG wait.

Ox Blood metallic, Cobalt, Emerald, Hunter, Purple (the Old Purple was Opaque, the new Purple is translucent)Black Cherry, Root Beer - all these colors are gorgeous. I'm aiting on Teal Metallic.

If you are lookig for a Cobalt Blue blank, or other colored blanks - look at teh CTS website on the left, and give Andy Dear a call, I think he might be able to get these for you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.99.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 09:42AM

Might be better if I just paint one. Don't really like the blue colors on blanks, to dark
A nice matallic blue The reds and greens are nice.
Maybe I will look at the colored blanks that mudhole has Hmmm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster