I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PVC rod case cap
Posted by: William Cunningham (198.209.0.---)
Date: June 30, 2005 01:30PM

I was thinking of making a rod case out of PVC. I would glue a cap on one end but what about the other end? I know about the screw in male plugs but they look bulky and unattractive. Anyone have any other ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PVC rod case cap
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 03:14PM

Yeah, don't use PVC tubing, it's round and comparatively heavy. Use rain Gutter Downspout Tubing. It comes in white and it's square and much lighter in weight., and is not subject to breaking as easily as round PVC tubing. Best of all, this tubing is very inexpensive, appox. $5.00 for an 8 ft long section.

I've been using this tubing for shipping rods all across the USA, and have never had a broken or damaged rod.

John (aka: @#$%&)

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 03:16PM

Try using a female cap. They are flat & recessed on top so doing an imbedded lure/fly is easy. Also, you can use a rubber end cap. They are sold with a band clamp but you can dispose of that. they give a nice tight fit but pull off easily. They also work well for your bottom cap as well. Pressure fittings also work but the wingnut might be asthetically objectional. Brouse the plumbing fittings dept. at your local mega-hardware & you'll see many options. If you want to dress up a PVC tube, try wrapping it with mason line or even weaving initials or patterns like any rod, just add a schmear of epoxy on the tube every so often to keep the line from coming loose on the slippery tube weeks down the line. Color choices are limited, but even plain white looks nicer than industrial sizing printed along the tube. If none of this sounds good, try the PVC Cordura tube kits from Cabelas, they are nice too & not too $$.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: June 30, 2005 03:28PM

They also have female screw on caps with an adapter for the PVC tubing. Works pretty well and looks/works better than the male plugs.

I should have a somewhat different type of tube in stock in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to borrow an idea from another industry and adapt it to rodbuilding. Light weight and not too expensive. I'll post an annoncement when they come in.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 30, 2005 03:45PM

How is the durability of PVC as an everyday rod tube? One which gets a little beat up, thrown around by UPS, the airlines, and shoved in and out of the back of your car/truck.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: June 30, 2005 05:45PM

Skip the PVC and get black ABS! Can't beat the features. They are super lightweight and durable. Loew's carries them in 5' and 10' sections. The same ends as PVC are available. I get all mine with the female end and the screw in male threaded cap. I sand down the outside with 150 grit and then wipe it clean. Use a gold or silver permanent marker or paint pen to add the rod description to the outside for the finish. They look great.

I've probably got a few dozen of them for the various fly rods in my collection. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow of them.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 05:49PM

Billy,
I even use 4" PVC tubes for travel. They are perfect for 3, 4 piece fly rods in their bags. I will shove a section of pipe insulation in with the rods to insure there is no wobbling around. I've carried them on and stowed them as well as checked them in awith luggage with no problems. I trust the PVC as much as an aluminum tube.

Happy 4th,

Tim

Re: John Mantele's downspouts ??
Posted by: Jim Randall (---.grantnoc.org)
Date: June 30, 2005 07:24PM

Tried to e-mail but address was hidden, I would like more info on these square downspouts. Where are they available and what type of caps do you use? The heavy wall 1 1/2" PVC tubing is hard to beat for rod cases, a little heavy but will stand up to rough use. For shipping rods I usually use black ABS 1 3/4" since it's a little lighter and cheaper but for everyday use as a rod case they tend to warp. "John, I would like to know more about your downspouts." Thanks;
Jim

Re: John Mantele's downspouts ??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2005 07:50PM

PVC and ABS are both superior to aluminum if you're talking shipping or hard airline travel. ABS offers roughly the same protection at PVC but at about half the weight. You can also buy foam core PVC (drainage pipe - labeled as being "not for pressure use") that is pretty light compared to regular PVC pipe.

John's square downspout stock might be the best yet. Something that's strong and light and won't roll around would be perfect.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: June 30, 2005 09:26PM

Hello,
For shipping I have turned to a non-perforated sewer and drain pipe, the type with the little ribs the length of it. Lighter then PVC or ABS although it is a Poly Vinyl Chloride it is more impact resistant and you should be able to find the same male or female adaptors for it.

John,
That sounds like a great deal with the plastic down spouts and I would also like to know more about the end caps and possible fittings if you would be so kind? This brings to mind the plastic fencing that has been on the market for a little while now too. I guess I will be checking out the Hardware store tomorrow.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 11:04PM

If you are looking for something light in weight, look at this
[www.peninsulaflyfishers.org]
The drainpipe mentioned in other responses would work well with this setup.

Mike

Date: July 01, 2005 04:08PM

William-

Just posted a pic of my ABS rod tube for the 2Wt Forecast for reference.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio
440-840-4521

Posted by: William Cunningham (198.209.0.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 04:18PM

Thank you, that was the same thing I was thinking about doing. I just wanted to make them look a little more elegant. It is that screw in top that I am having a problem with.

Anyone know how to thread PVC or ABS?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 06:10PM

HEre is a link to the picture:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: July 01, 2005 09:13PM

Hey sorry guys,
I checked on the fencing product today and was informed that most of that stuff is fabricated with intention of railings so it does have some holes in it for the railing. I didn't have time to check but if I remember correctly the holes could be an after mold process that could be a beneficial thing for rod builders if the right bases are touched.
It may be time to check into some manufacturers and locations to see if some real nice inexpensive rod cases can be brought about.
I didn't just post that on the internet, oh I guess I did.
Son of a gun,
A guy just might be able to fit a nice little bait caster in with the rod in this stuff?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Date: July 01, 2005 09:18PM

Sorry just cracked myself up,
Would this be thinking about the box?
Okay a little corny.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 11:30PM

I just found some PVC cases offered by LL Bean for $15.00 plus shipping. The caps snap on. You can search for them or email me for the link.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.160.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 09:05AM

For shipping to customers I use the Drain pipe. Cheap and light. Have not had any broken

For personal rod shipping I use a hard plastic case. It is adjustable and also has a secure place to put a pad lock to keep handlers out. Send them out one or two days before going on a trip and they are waiting for me

Date: July 02, 2005 10:14AM

You know, William, it would be really cool if someone figured out how to thread the inside of the mushroom cap and the outside of the PVC to match.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

Infinityrodcreations@yahoo.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.17.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 03, 2005 08:34AM

After all that work will they look as nice as some thing like this, Power coated and you can get a Logo on it also [www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster