I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss over Aftcote
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 11:02AM

How long should you wait to apply permagloss over a finish? I've tried it before and the permagloss seemed to eat right through the finish as I was trying to brush it on. I'm thinking that I did not let the finish cure completely before trying to apply the permagloss.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss over Aftcote
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 30, 2005 11:21AM

I'm curious why you want to put anything over Aftcote? Are you having a problem with it holding up to abuse? Or that it seems to change hardness depending on weather?

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 11:26AM

Steve, I would be concerned with the Permagloss not being as flexible as the Aftcote, but the Aftcote over the Permagloss should be OK as long as the products are compatible. Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2005 11:30AM by Ed Grella.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 12:04PM

I just wanted to put a good hard layer over the Aftcote for a stand up rod. I haven't had any problems with Aftcote yet. I've got a blank I need to paint and after I get the guides on and finished I was gonna apply the permagloss over the entire rod since the paint needed to be protected. Everyone always says not to put a thread finish over the entire rod. So, that's why I was leaning towards finishing it with permagloss.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 30, 2005 12:13PM

Steve - there is at least one full time rodbuilder in South Florida who I met last year, who coats the entire rod + guides with Aftcote. I am going to see him again in a couple of weeks, if you want a review of how he feels the Aftcote worked out when used like this - let me know and I'll ask.

I've gone to putting Glass Coat over Aftcote. I have 3 seperate rods where the Aftcote was damaged while transporting rods. I have been taking 10 rods on board when I go fishing, 5 per hand - and I think the guides tangling up & rubbing is causing small pieces of Aftcote to literally tear off. Very small though, like 1mm dots, but enough that I noticed, adn enough where I have to re-wrap one particular guide where the threads were frayed. NONE of the rods I have finished with any other finish have had this happen, only the Aftcote, so I know it is happening because of the finish.

I also notice, that now that the weather is hot & humid, the rods I built earlier this year with Aftcote, seem to be more rubbery & prone to damage than when I fished the other rods with Aftcote in the Winter. I sear, with teh humidity being so high lately, the guide wraps almost feel tacky where I can leave a fingerprint. Although I cannot, it's more like a brand new basketball that has that extreme grip.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.208.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 12:30PM

Might be a lot easyer for you Steve if you color the blank then coat the blank with maybe two or three coats of permagloss. It will give you a nice hard coating to wrap over when dry. Will be a lot easyer to do.
There are also builders that color salt rods and coat with epoxy clear and say it holds up well. You just have to let it sit and dry for several days even a week untill it is fully hard if wrapping over it.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 10:21AM

I tried to coat a rod with permagloss that I painted and the permagloss took up the paint. I had to rip up the remaining paint and start all over again. I t would have been detrimental had I put the guides on first. You may want to use a test rod before doing this. If anyone has been successful in doing this please let me in on your secret.

Scott

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.113.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 10:29AM

Got to put it on Fast. It sets quickly. Can also be tinted. I have painted blanks with Plastic kote auto touchup spray paint. Let dry over night

Try a search of this board, there is a lot of infor and ways to do it. "Painting blanks" should work

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster