I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help on Ferrule wrap.
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.204.97.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 09:20PM

Hi all. Have been working on refurbishing and old surf rod for a co-worker , when I think I'm about done he comes up with something else to be added.I put a new chrome plated 15.0 mm ferrule on ,now he says that he wants it wrapped.The problem that I'm having is the ferrule has a sleve in the middle so I have a step up and a step down. I can get it to step up onthe sleve but I can't keep the thread tight no matter how tight the tension is there are always gaps,even by burnishing it , I still have gaps.The thread just slides all over on the shinny chrome.I'm so frustrated with it that I'm about ready to abort the thread idea and marble it. Any and all help is appreciated believe me .
Oh before I forget one of the sponsors at the left had told me to use (D) thread that is what I am using.
Thanks again <<<<DON>FROM HOBBY RODS>>>>e

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help on Ferrule wrap.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2005 10:14PM

I'm not sure I can picture that ferrule type in mind. Obviously, you want to wrap uphill. If you go up a step and then have to go back down, that's going to be tough. So do this - Start from the usual end and wrap up onto the step until it levels. Then tie off. then go to the other end and wrap towards the step from the other direction. Wrap up the step and butt up against the previous wrap as you tie off there. Burnish and no one will ever know it was two wraps coming from opposing directions.

You need to maintain a pretty good angle of attack when wrapping thread on the hard and smooth surface of these chrome ferrules.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.195.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 09:00AM

Another thought I just had " that hurt " is to mark where the wrap will go. Then scotch pad the area to get a little grip on it. Since you will be wrapping over it, you could mix a little rod bond and taper the upgrade and down grade with just a little. let it dry, find sand then wrap over.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 10:51AM

If after you follow the above instructions you still have slippage problems, I suggest applying a very thin coat of finish to the metal ferrule. After a few hours you should be able to wrap over the finished area and slippage will be a thing of the past. This also might help build up the 'shoulder' area where you are having a time wrapping up & down on.

Jay

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.254.136.190.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 09:54PM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If after you follow the above instructions you
> still have slippage problems, I suggest applying a
> very thin coat of finish to the metal ferrule.
> After a few hours you should be able to wrap over
> the finished area and slippage will be a thing of
> the past. This also might help build up the
> 'shoulder' area where you are having a time
> wrapping up & down on.
>
> Jay

Just want to say thanks for the replies,I done what Tom K. suggested and it worked out just fine.However like Tom said I had to keep a pretty good angle and a tight tention,but after I burnished it you can't hardly tell were they meet , I'm happy with it so it's a done deal.Like it has been said here before it's hard to please Friends,Realatives,and Co-workers.
Thanks again all <<<DON AT HOBBY RODS >>>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster