I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cry Foul! True Oil - Board Sponsors
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 07:38PM

I am a user of True Oil on cork. I am sure that everyone who uses the stuff knows about the short shelf life before polymerization occurs. I went to the local gun shop today to get a couple of fresh bottles and what do I find? The darn stuff has been "bundled" in a large plastic package with bottles of Walnut Stain and something called a Restorer. The new package of three cost $ 17.65. I left in a huff and drove about 15 miles to a Wally World and what did I find - same package for $ 16.50. I was forced to buy the stuff due to need to get a couple of rods out tomorow.

If any of the board sponsors see this post maybe you could add True Oil to your product line and just handle what is needed.

Does anyone know what could be added to Cork Seal to give a little darker look to the cork. I really like Cork Seal but it will not darken enough with only one coat. More coats of Cork Seal do not add to the color. I normally use three coats of True Oil buffed with cheesecloth to give cork the look and feel that my customers like.

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cry Foul! True Oil - Board Sponsors
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 07:48PM

Tehre was a photo on the old board of someone who dyed cork with Tea. Please, do not ask for specifics, I remember reading the post &/or seeing the pic, I think? lol.

Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 07:58PM

I had a handle put on by Charlie Reading a local rod builder and he put on a stained Carnauba based wax. I just called him and he told me it was called Indian Sand. Do a quick search in google for Carnauba Indian Sand and you will find it. It turned out great.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 08:00PM

Billy, I think that it was Eden Bromfield who talked of darkening the cork with tea?

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 08:29PM

RAndy - good job.

[www.fishingphoto.net]

If you happen to click on the link, and want to enjoy some cool photos, look at teh rest of Eden's pictures, outstanding!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2005 10:57PM by Moderator.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 09:54PM

Spar urethane or a thin coat of clear will give cork a darker golden color to it. If you want it real dark, put a thin coat of stain then light coat of cealer.

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas23.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 11:17PM

Bill, you can buy tru-oil direct from the mfg. with a phone call or on line. They will send it unbundled and you only pay extra for the postage.
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.nas8.pittsburgh2.pa.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 07:16AM

Hi Bill! I found Tru Oil single bottles at Gander Mt. stores.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 11:29AM

Golden Witch carries it and is a sponsor.

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster