I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Conversion from Snake to Single foot
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2005 11:07AM

I'm going to build my first spey rod & want to use single foot guides. All the charts I've found for spey rods use snakes as their guides. What is the conversion?
Thanks in advance!

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Conversion from Snake to Single foot
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 02:18PM

TIm-

What conversion information are you looking for? If you're talking about guide placement, figure the current measurements are on center. Make sure that you put the guides on those measurements and do a static test. It'll tell you what guides need to move and where.

Hopefully that was the answer to the question.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 29, 2005 02:53PM

Or did you mean guide size. A ceramic single foot size 6 (Alconite BLAGJ6 for example) has about the same size opening for the line as a size 1 snake guide or size 1 single foot wire guide.

Date: June 29, 2005 03:45PM

Conversion from snake to single foot SIZE. Is there a chart or something I can access to convert my sizes? I need in SNAKE sizes; #3, #4, #5 (I'm going to stick to standard strippers).

Tim

Date: June 29, 2005 03:53PM

Consider whether you really need guides with clear space openings as large as size 3-5 snakes. If you need openings that big to pass your knots and connections, then you will need probably size 8 ceramic single foot which equate to about the snake size 3 in opening size. No need to taper the sizes, use all the same size and use the smallest size you need to pass your connections. If size 7 will do it, then that will save you some weight and make your rod more pleasant to fish, although with 2 handed delivery you can more easily handle the extra weight of size 8s. So, you probably need 7s or 8s in ceramics if you have loop to loop connections and buy the lightest ones you can fit into your budget.

Date: June 29, 2005 04:10PM

Steve,
This is my first spey rod, so I'm working right off the Sage charts for the guide sizes. I'm assuming that loop-to-loop connections for spey won't be any bigger than conventional ones. Interesting that you don't feel that I need to taper sizes down like conventional rods...BTW...Any thoughts on tip-tops? I was going to use a conventional large wire loop, ceramic ones always seem too small for my tastes.

Thanks again,
Tim

Date: June 29, 2005 04:19PM

Tim,

Connection sizes should be the same. I don't think the running guides on any fly rod need to be tapered in size, conventional or otherwise. It's an aesthetic thing but I have never noticed any advantage and of course larger guides weigh more so why use them. I think if you are going for the benefits of smooth, quiet, durable ceramic guides, you should use a ceramic tip top to go with it in size to match your running guides. Many folks actually use a ceramic single foot as the tip top, secured with a Forhan locking wrap (see library if you don't know this wrap). It might be worth a shout to Bob Meiser, the king of spey and switch rods and a board sponsor. Chances are he has wrapped the blank you are buying and can give you some darn good advice if you are uncertain.

Steve

Date: June 29, 2005 04:26PM

Thanks for the advice!

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster